Anybody get a ticket from a traffic light camera yet?

I’m assuming it would be a crime to disable one of those at your favorite red light to run location. I bet it everyone broke one they would stop using them fast.

I know it isn’t a real solution or even plausible but it is fun to think about sticking it to the man.

I remember a huge argument that cities got caught shortening the times of the yellow lights to increase revenue of people running the red lights and it ended up causing more accidents. I think it was on Digg a few weeks ago.

they have these things all over the bronx. they take a picture of your plate and send whoever the car is registered to a ticket, no points just a fine. i’ve gotten a few of them…

A great article on the red light camera scam:

An excerpt that might get the NYSpeed A.D.D. crowd to actually read something longer than 2 sentences…

This tyranny will fall as research builds a slam-dunk case that it’s a safety sham. A report last year, funded by the Federal Highway Administration and the Virginia Department of Transportation, said that “cameras were associated with an increase in total crashes.” Six Virginia cities with red-light cameras were studied. Injury crashes were down five percent in one and up from six to 89 percent in the others. Rear-enders were up in all the cities, by 136 percent in Falls Church and 139 percent in Arlington.

Crashes were up in Stockton, California, too, from an average of 14 per year before to more than 20 per year in the 2004–6 period, after red-light cameras were installed. Same story in Seattle, where crashes rose from 4.94 per intersection before to 5.25 after cameras were installed at four intersections. Untroubled by the facts, Police Chief Gil Kerlikowske declared complete victory and proposed camera coverage on 14 more intersections.

more accidents = more tickets = revenue

they started off being in troubled neighboorhoods, but they are literally at everyother intersection. They have super powerfull mic’s on them aswell.Buffalo big brother is watching/listening

I am pretty sure that the ones you see downtown in buffalo have shot-spotter on them so if they detect a gun shot, they point at the area it came from and alert the 911 center.

rochester has a similar system.

there is one near JA MALL… right on walden going from harlem to union … and yes it will send u a ticket

Untroubled by the facts, Police Chief Gil Kerlikowske declared complete victory and proposed camera coverage on 14 more intersections.

lol.

they have been there ever since they repaved the road there, weather or not they are traffic cameras i dont know

Pat Bedard > *.automotive journalists.

With the exception of Brock Yates, who C&D cut from the staff. If they lose Bedard I’ll probably cancel my sub.