Anybody have a "quick steering rack" in their DD?

Wanted to throw this out there.

The “while I’m in there” mentality is taking over and I’m thinking of upgrading to the Quaife 2.5 turn lock-to-lock rack (stock is 3.3). I know there are an infinite number of variables between chassis and alignment settings and tires and erryding but I want more opinions before throwing more money at my heap.

dont panic on the highway with one.

yeah people on the eeeemr2 forums were saying lane changes are literally a flick of the wrist. even for 90* turns at intersections they said they can just lean into the turn and not have to go hand-over-hand :rofl

Are there any options for ‘borrowing’ a rack from another toyota car? or another trim level of the mr2 with a different ratio?

That’s been the common option for many hondas- for the crx - the ‘HF’ model had the quickest ratio (I forget the numbers) - but noticeably higher than what most people would consider to be already quick-ratio steering in the DX or Si.

The main reason why I mention this is that I don’t know the actual price on the Quaife rack, but I’m sure it’s much more than going to a junkyard for a used rack. Or even a reman. Yeah, I’m pretty cheap.

Just mod the steering knuckles bro

All the AW11s have the same rack and the Quaife rack is technically for an AE86 Corolla, it just happens to bolt in to my AW11 chassis. It’s actually “only” $240 shipped which I don’t think is too bad. A remanufactured one after sending in your old one is about $120.

Already have flipped tie rods front and rear, no one makes any kind of spacer to “lower” them further though.

Yeah but if you shorten the arm on the knuckle it will increase turning ratio. We’ll Im not sure about your car but thats what we do for 240’s

Just learn how to drive with a normal steering wheel and never mind this ricer turbo lane change bull shit.

No one’s done this on an MR2 to my knowledge, the Quaife rack is cheap enough that no one wants to mess around with it I guess.

That wouldn’t be why I would do it :lol

Watch Ryan lean, watch Ryan swerve.

Yea i got one bro. First mod i did to the truck when I got it. Went from 33.5 turns lock to lock to around 30. Does way better at the auto cross. Highly recommended!!

The MR2 guy that goes to LVD all the time has modded knuckles, anyone that mods knucks can do it for you.

SUP KNUCKA

kram buttts ill mod your meat knuckles bro. did you do roll center adjusters yet?

The steering rack in an Evo is fairly quick and I think that’s part of what made it such a fun car. I read journalist stuff like “you will sneeze and go into the other lane” “the car is too jumpy” etc but I think that stuff was exaggerated. No issues at all and it was my only car at the time. If you are paying attention and keeping the damn wheel pointed straight it will go straight. Wow what an epiphany, what will they think of next?

I would love do a quicker rack in the M3 but they cost quite a bit and the rack doesn’t get anywhere near as quick as the one in an Evo anyways.

As for shortening the knuckle for more angle, Tungsten had a nice writeup on SlideNY on that:

http://www.slideny.com/index.php?topic=38.0

an ct9 evos caster is what gives it that extreme twichyness, it also does have a pretty short rack.

If you want a quicker ratio, just buy and weld in(or pay someone to do so) a steering quickener inline in the steering column/shaft.

done and done.

thatll never work.

lol like one of those redneck dirt track jobbies?

If your arms were shorter you could turn faster. :gay