Anybody have advice on Gall stones?

I had to run my mom to the ER this morning from work because she was having terrible, stabbing like, pains in her stomach. After some tests and an ultrasound, it turns out that she has gall stones.

Anyone have any experience with them? Can they be passed, or only removed thru surgery? Are they likely to take the gallbladder out as well?

from what i’ve heard from family members, they can be removed/blasted, but more than likely the gallbladder gets removed.

Yeah, thats what I have heard from some people too. She goes back to the doctor today, so I guess shell get the final word then.

My mom had the same thing a few years back. She would complain of real bad pain in her abdomen quite often. She would just lay down and bear it for awhile and it would eventually fade away (pass, as we later found out). After a few of these incidents over the years, she finally got one that wouldn’t go away and went to the ER. They removed her gall bladder right away and told her she should have had it done years prior as it was totally full of little stones. Your mom will most likely be in the same situation - just get it out and be fixed.

Nope don;t fuck with it just have it removed, I just went through this.

Get the thing taken out. You don’t need your gallbladder. All it does is store extra bile from the liver to help in extra fat digestion from meals. 85-90% of the people who develop stones will have them reoccur even if they pass or take the pills that dissolve them (which are usually only subscribed to people that are high risk for surgery or older and it can take up to a year for them to dissolve)

Now as for complications if you get one of those stones stuck in your common bile duct you could end up with severe pancreatitis and then become diabetic the rest of your life. The common bile has three branches 1 from your liver, 1 from your gall bladder, and t from your pancreas and they all come together then lead into your digestive tract. Bile is secreted by the liver to help make fat water soluble so it can be digested. The gall bladder just stores extra for say wing nights and it contracts to release the bile to aid in the extra fat comming into your system.

More than likely you will have it done laparoscopic and you will be out of the hospital the same day. I was driving in two days. I had lifting restrictions due to working in Fire / EMS for 4 weeks.

1% of people who have their gall bladder removed have stool issues but it isn’t very common because you body adjusts.