Anyone around Pitt Tech?

I just moved up here to pittsburgh about a week ago.
For reasons described in this thread:
http://www.pittspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38214

anyways Im thinking to go to Pitt tech to take a Assosicate degree program studying IT-Network Administration Or Network Security/Computer Forensics

Dunno which one yet but I have several certifications and other shit behind me and have been a intern for my high school’s (graduated in 2005) network admin. So i kinda know what you do in that type of work.

First year is the same between both those degrees the second year you either need to select to stay in network admin or to go to network security. Right now im thinking security.

I just wanted to know if any Pittspeed members live around or go to pitt tech.
If so what are you studying?

Just wanted to drop in saying Im new to the area. Want to meet people cuz im still new here and the move here was a life changing thing for me. And now im taking the next step by going to pitt tech. and wanted to see who’s local to Pitt tech campus or squirell hill?

do you mean pittsburgh technical institute?

if i could give any advice i’d say to try and goto a 4 year school and use your money there. i got an associates from them, but no concentration. they have good job placement, but only if you want to work for $8-10/hr and shitty hours/on call.

i got lucky that they found comcast hiring, but all the places i interviewed wanted experience/concentration/bachelor degree, and i didnt have any of the formentioned.

just my $.02. if i knew then what i know now i probably would have gone to a real college…

i’m not too far from there, i work up the hill in the comcast building.

ive tried in a real college didnt know what i wanted so i was stuck taking general classes which i didnt do to well in…and basically afterwards thought of myself as a total idiot since i didnt do to well. This way i can use some of those credits i earned to transfer for the general portion of the requirement. Which would probually make me have less classes to take in the first year.

I’ll get a education and if i want more money or more education ill get more later. Just the fact that ive already been in a real college left me in bad taste. And i think this is the direction i want to go with. I love working with everything computer science related and already have about 4 certifications backing me up.

If i go right now back to a 4 year school im sure ill fuck up again…I personally think im taking a step into a good direction…
And said that ima keep this decision regardless of any future comments in this thread lol…stubborn? No i just experienced what a 4 year school is all about. If i want more education after the assoicates i get outa this Pittsburgh tech then ill go. But for now I think this is all I need for myself. To make me feel happy that im studying something that I enjoy and tht ill get a degree in 2 years. If i want more then a 2 year degree i can always go back. No education is worthless

right. thats a good way to put it.

basically i was just saying unless you planned on going on to a 4 year school, dont waste time at PTI.

I’m also not too far from you in squirrel hill, I live by downtown

Welcome to Pittsburgh BTW. I think you’ll like it here.

thx bro. I already love it here.

hey man, only you can make the right decision for yourself. it seems you’re stepping into the right direction. getting away from things that were bringing you down. moving to a new place and experiencing new things. and going to further your education. i would also recommend a 4 year college but it seems that you have an equivalent amount of experience from doing the internship and since you’ve recieved your certs already. once you get the degree you’ll be on the road to success. i’d personally go after the security degree because that’s where it’s at. security is the big deal right now all over the globe.

Thanks for the true life aspects. Ye man thats what I want to get. Yet I already was as said a Intern for the computer network admin at my high school. And he kinda didnt do shit and gave me all his work. So i kinda know what that job is all about. lol. I rather have the security degree. But as fall back i can get the network admin degree. Either way first year between both is the same then I can select A or B.

I also went to PTI and graduated in 06. I can say that I do not use my degree whatsoever and had to find my job on my own. They only find you shitty jobs like 4doors said. If I were you I would try to switch over to a four year school, you will get much more concentration and a better chance at a job that way.

thx for the comments guys…Im excited…I better make the best outa this lol

i went to pti… go to a 4 year school… i wish i would have…

Ye its official Im going to classes starting oct 18. I have visited other campuses such as Kaplan and this is where i decided to attend. Again I previously attended in MD a 4 year school and it wasn’t for me. I need something more direct and hands on. I will def either go for more education in the future (BS degree) or whatever but this is a good start in the right direction in my perspective.

good luck and make the most of it :slight_smile:

I sure will my last college i was at I was partying like everyday didnt take my education seriously. This time i hopefully will have my priorities straight lol

haha well the parties are harder to find but they are definitely there :beer:

sweet i may attend some but mostly ima study this time…i dont wanna fuck up like last time…i learned from my mistakes i hope lol :kekegay: