Job search in Pittsburgh

I am going to be a graduate soon in July of 2006. But, for my final semester, my internship has been at the Science Center. I’ve been looking local for a job in my field (Network Administration/Anyhting IT) But have come up short. Everyone wants 2 years plus actual work experience or a Bachelor’s Degree. So, I’m stuck in a fork in the road, do I go back to school for my Bachelor’s, or keep looking. I have had luck with a company, CVS, but starting pay was 23k a year, and driving out to RIDC park in harmorville wasn’t my thing.

We have an opening (I’m doing the job right now…) but I guarantee you won’t get 23K here… Maybe $9 or $10 an hour… although I kinda like doing it myself. Keeps me busy, learning new things… lol. If you want an interview I’ll ask my boss. Right now we are interviewing for electronics techs.

good luck finding a job.

It would be better to get the bachelors degree and then in a few years get the job you want. An associate degree won’t do too much.

remember, it’s not what you know, it’s who you know. :smiley:

RIDC Park sure does suck. Good thing I live next to it. I feel like I am going to hit those people walking everymorning… they really need to get a sidewalk.

move…

werd wish i could

Go get some certifications if you haven’t yet. Something simple like a CCNA would definitely help you out.

that’s all bullshit…

i have a job and tons and tons and tons of offers… i do have experience, but didn’t when i started…

if you want some real deal advice, hit me up… otherwise fuck around with poeple being negative talking about no job openings and required degrees and certs. :jerkit: plenty of IT jobs in any city all over the US… Period.

it’s all about your resume and amount of confidence when interviewing… if you’ve setup a network at home and fucked around on peoples home computers… you have desktop support experience.

just don’t expect to make money as a network admin out of school… school doesn’t teach you dick… it’s all about real world experience.

start with a GOOD resume on monster, careerbuilder, workpittsburgh, dime and so on…

Thanks for the advice, I will be hitting you up for some better advice. As for certifications, I have my A+, and I am working on my MCSE. Im not looking for anything great, I just want to get my foor in to door, and 23k a year isn’t going to do much for me.

I already make 10/hour part time.

I wish I could, but damn, that could be a last option.