Anyone else have this problem????

Here is a problem people are having on FA along with yours trully :slight_smile:

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB27&Number=67859134&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1&PHPSESSID=

Does anyone here have the same problem? maybe someone had it and figured it out? just thought i would ask.

I don’t have this problem yet, but for a different place to look…
if it is “clunking” only during the transition from accel to decel and vice versa, it could be your U-joints.
Just a thought, hope it helps find the problem or eliminate one posibility.

“Symptoms of a bad universal joint include a repeating squeaking sound when accelerating from a stop, a heavy clunking noise when shifting from drive to reverse or vise versa, or a shuddering sensation when accelerating or driving.”

just made a quick search, and from this article the symptoms of a bad U joint differ from our problem, which occurs at deceleration at 2500-2000 rpm.
But still worth the check.

Thanks for the tip.

hanger bearing … maybe

decelerating 2,500 … in every gear, definitely drive line.

tranny mount … diff mount.

dying rear end …

I dunno, reading that post is very confusing … some people have the same problem, other’s don’t.

I’m sorry, I don’t buy the “sprung vs unsprung” blah blah blah. I’ve had tons of different clutches in tons of different cars, and have never had this problem.

Sounds more to me like guys have been replacing a mount here and a mount there with harder more solid mounts. You can’t do it one at a time.

If every bushing and mount in your car is nolothane except for 2 or three. that’s where all the vibrations will go.

Sounds to me like an output seal, or something from the tailshaft of the tranny to diff … center bearing …

in all likelihood though, it sounds to me like people have gone to aftermarket mounts, and didn’t know what exactly that would do.

Poly is mushy … which sucks for hard cornering, but mushy also soaks up a lot of noise. Even the ES mount kits say so in the instructions.