Anyone ever had any luck with a Saturn Sky??

I bought a Lotus, now my dad wants a toy.

For some reason, he’s always been interested in the Saturn Sky, especially the Red Line. Don’t ask me why, I think he just likes the looks, and he’s always driven GMs.

So far we’ve driven 2 Sky’s and one Solstice. Only one of them was a turbo, and all three of them have totally sucked. Lots of rattles, crappy build quality, weird clutches, and average GM (terrible IMO) handling.

My question is - are there actually any decent examples of these cars, or are they all like this? Are we just having bad luck or are these just plain old crappy cars?

We also drove a z4 last night, which is my obvious choice, but it might be a little on the high side of his price range. I’d much rather see him buy a BMW than another GM product, but ultimately it’s his choice.

Has anyone on here had any luck with either car? Solstice/Sky?

Thanks in advance.

Just buy a BMW, sure you pay a little more now, but you’ll have resale value and longetivity down the line. I’ve driven one redline sky, but it was new and for 15 minutes. Meh.

these cars suck. and they’re ugly.

2Jz Bolts right in … best part about it.

bolts right in as in bolts right in???

edit: yeah, I guess it bolts right in

2JZ
swapped oil pan to rear sump
stock solstice trans with 1JZ bell housing (bolts right on)
Stock 2JZ motor mounts (bolted right to the stock Solstice mounts!)

Now he’s busy wiring it up, but so far the motor dropped right in. Trans is in the stock location so the shifter didn’t even move.

My mom and dad looked at these a few years ago when they were looking to buy a vert. They too always buy GM cars so it was the obvious place to look first. What really turned them off is you cant fit shit in the trunk with the top down. MAYBE a duffel bag at best. So if they wanted to take it on a road trip, theyd have to do so with the top up to accomodate luggage. LAME.

They ended up buying a MX5 that they really enjoyed for the 18mo they had it.

Late last year they upgraded to a Z4, and absolutely love it (obviously).

So I would push your dad towards the Z4 if he can swing it. If not Id have him check out the MX5 as well.

Dan

Just get a Fiero,same thing.

Camarojoe here bought one for his wife, but IDK what the verdict was on it. They’ve had it over a year though, so that should give you a good x-section on what life with one is like.

Really, why do they suck?

Clearly you would prefer the Opel GT or Vauxhall VX instead, LOL.

Now that we have addressed the negatives in a very informative and non-judgemental way, I will drivel out some positives…Actually, the Sky is a fairly nice “drivers” car. The LE5 puts out some really good power for weekend cruises and daily driving; ~170 NA and ~290 (ish) Turbo LNF. I agree with the Redline selection as you get more bang for your buck and a few upgrades; different motor, LSD, bigger wheels, dual exhaust, trim level, etc…

In all honesty, the Sky is the type of car that needs to be driven to be enjoyed. It is not the most appealing looking car but with the combination of a torquey motor and the AR-5 it is fun to drive. Just tell your Father to pick a color he likes. The one down side, other than lack of storage, is that the interior is “tight” with the top up. But, it is a small car to begin with.

Go for a test drive.

Z3/Miata/S2K.

I would say MX5. But I’m baised.

not that it matters, but not even close lol

I would not say the LE5 has a good amount of power, but the LNF (turbo version) is an extremely good, reliable engine. A tune and downpipe will net you ~300whp. I would recommended the Sky it but if a Z4 is in your price range I would say go for that instead.

What does he want the car for? Weekend cruises? Track car? Spirited driving? What the majority of us are looking for in a car is usually pretty different than a guy in his 50’s or 60’s (IDK how old he is, just a guess obviously)

Have him slip into any 90-96 Z. Almost limitless power, formula 1 like handling, supermodel curve appeal, driver cockpit fits like a condom, and you can fit two sets of clubs in back. I’m sorry…what was the question?

OK you got me,a fiero with a 3800 swap.

s2k, 350z or Boxster… Have been in many Z4’s i just dont find them fun… Hell a miata is more fun than a Z4. I have never driven/been in a sky redline so i have no comment on that.

I picked up a 2008 Sky Redline for my wife. It’s a fun car. Light, good handling, and a good amount of power to weight. We use it for the long rides and scenic trips. Plus my 69 Camaro isn’t a fun car to her, so this we picked this up.

Upsides - fun, quick, easy to drive, and the wife is happy. Love winding up that turbo. I wanted a Vette and my wife is 'eh about them, so this was a healthy compromise

Downsides - If you’re taller than 6’ than it’s somewhat tight. And you have to duck down to see the stop lights if the top isn’t down. The stock radio is shit with the top down because if there’s any sunlight you can’t see the display at all. Bumpy roads, you’ll get some rattle. Nowhere to mount your phone so I’m modifying the cupholder in the trans tunnel to hold my iPhone.

DO NOT get the 2.4, make sure you get the 2.0 Turbo. It’s a dog with the 2.4. Plus it has a better resale with the turbo.

I’m contemplating converting mine to an Opel GT, throwing on some newer brakes and wheels. But overall, very happy with the car.

If your parents want a fun car to cruise and something different, then this is the car.

My mom has a redline. Fun to drive. Not a refined car but great vehicle for the money with lots of mods for the shared drivetrain.

People need to get out of this “I only buy xxxxxxxx” mindset

I mean, variety is the spice of life! (as I look at my 8th Honda)

But really… These are such old people cars. Your (presumably old) parents would probably love it, plus it’s badged a gm! Can’t loose! And I bet they really don’t want to upset your crazy ex-UAW uncle!

Corvettes and Cadillacs and Lexus are old people cars. At least that’s the majority of who I see with them. The Sky isn’t an old person car since old people are afraid of 4 cylinder turbo cars