anyone have experience with counteract rust proofing?

http://images.canadiantire.ca/media/images/Assortments/PrimaryAssortments/Automotive/CarCare/CarPaintCare/0477905_450_CC_5ab63.jpg

Counteract Electronic Rust Protection System

Provides total rust protection for the entire vehicle body, inside and out
Used by industry professionals in some of the harshest industrial conditions for 20 years (salt harvesting, mining, aviation, snow removal)
Cost effective (one time purchase)
Environmentally friendly (chemical-free technology is completely harmless to the driver and vehicle)

just brought my car into a shop today and they suggested this over annual rustproofing.

the mechanic is a good friend of mine and he strongly advised this. he said he’s installed em before and theyve worked wonders.

he said there easy to use and they dont harm anything electrical in your car.

plus, lifetime waranty!

i work at canadian tire and i had a guy who came in and bought one. He said that he was employed with a company who used this technology on underground water pipes and they never rusted. He said it will last there lifetime.

Just some information that i thought would be useful. Plus for the price you cant beat it. They retail out at 250$.

Definetally worth looking into.

and matty they come with a 5 year warrant FYI.

Yeah, I work at a CT garage. They only work if your car is 110% rust free.

so does that means is useless to most of our cars here???

my ct down in fort erie said they’ll service it for a lifeimte.

maybe im just a likeable guy.

none the less, seems like it would be well worth the investment.

ive had it nistalled on my car today.

we’ll see how she holds years from now.

so does that means is useless to most of our cars here???[/quote]

Pretty much

ya, pretty good for brand new cars. but doesn’t it also slow down the rust from spreading if it does exist?

yah what if youre car already has soem rust on it… will it do anything?

I sure as hell wouldn’t use this thing as the sole defense against rust. Just because it’s being sold through CT and not telivision infomercials doesn’t mean it’s not crap.

I looked into it out of curiosity and came up with a few answers to some questions. Here’s some opinions.

Talked with my corrosion buddy, this is what he said:

“To me, it still does not make sense how the car body can negatively be charged with the use of their device (if the car body is a cathode, what is the anode in the system?). Even if it does, it is highly unlikely that the whole body can be corrosion protected in atmospheric environment because the corrosion medium would not provide a continous electron path, in order words, the anode and cathode won’t be electrically connected by the corrosive medium. It would make lots of sense, if the hull of a ship is protected this way because the sea water is a medium that can conduct electricity so the negatively charged ship will be provided with excess electrons through the sea water. I don’t think this will be the case for cars under humid environment.”

If you need a little translation, let me know…but basically, no…doesn’t seem to be good for cars.

These gadgets have been around for a long time. They have some uses in industrial environments. Due to a number of issues they do little to nothing for cars and most of them (I don’t know about the one in question) are totally worthless under any condition.

I saw test results (Consumer Reports Magazine I believe) maybe 10 or 15 years ago and they tested several. Some did absolutely nothing and the rest did provide enough protection to measure, but not enough to be meaningful.

Reading the patent link warper gave:

Capacitive coupling is claimed, well in order to do that, we’d have to drape every inch of metal in our vehicles with a thin metal and non conductive media like wax paper to have capacitive coupling protect all the metal… The thin metal being positive and the metal of our vehicles has to be negative. It mentiones dc pulses and the frequency it opperates, manufacturer cost ~ $30.00 it isn’t rocket science, it’s purely quick profit and close up shop after a few years before any claims roll in…

just food for though.

My buddy’s parents got raped for like $3000 on their new Pontiac Solstice for this same “technology”… I laughed at him.

This technology does work, they use it on airplanes, supertankers, snow plows, salt-mine trucks, etc. The technology itself works and it works very well, the question is does the CT version work?