Anyone here import a car from Canada?

I see this threadbut the links are dead. I’m not talking about skylines or smart cars. Just a used car that shouldn’t need anything other than a guage cluster and some paperwork. Back when the dollar was stronger, dealers used to this all the time.

Anyone know whats involved?
I live in NC but wouldn’t be opposed to importing it into NYS then transferring it to NC.

You need a few things;

1. mph speedo. From my understanding, you can just change it out yourself before you import the car. no need to have a dealer do it

2. Letter of compliance from the manufacturer, saying the car is legit to run on U.S. roads. Any car intended for use in Canada will be able to get this letter to come into the U.S. (meaning if its a car that is only in canada cause of the 15 year rule FROM another country, it won’t work)

3. Letter that the vehicle is free of recalls, from the manufacturer

then just the paperwork to fill out the tax

call the manufacturer with the vin number and they will usually have no problem immediately faxing you the 2 letters

When I bought my Geo Tracker back around 2000 or so I didn’t have to change the speedo. Since the truck already had the DOT sticker on the door I just needed to get a fax from GM saying it met EPA standards, since the EPA sticker was missing. It cost $45 back then.