importing car from the US

does anyone know the rules and regulations to import a car from the US to Canada?
i know there are two things that need to be concidered.they are

speednometer
auto seatbelts(if equipped)

as for the speednometer if it has mph/kph would it be ok?

go to www.riv.ca you will get all the info you need there…

Basically if the car is over 15 years old… you don’t need to worry about a thing! Otherwise yes you will have to consider the speedometer (as long as it reads both you’re fine)… day time running lights must be installed as well…

As for actually bringing it here… You will have to send the Title to the US border 72 hours prior to crossing! Get it stamped by them before you leave the U.S. then present all the info at the Canadian side…

There you will pay GST on your bill of sale price (if you bought the car online or off ebay etc… don’t lie about this price or they will look it up and rape you if they find out otherwise)

If the car is equipped with A/C you will pay a $100 tax.

If the car is within 15 years of age the RIV fee of ~$208 comes into play… If it’s older then this fee is waived…

— If you car is older than 15 years old… then a simple cert, etest and trip to the MTO pay your PST and you’re done…

— If you’re dealing with the RIV (within 15 years old) you will have to get the car inspected by a Canadian Tire to make sure you have DRL’s and KM/h speedo. You may also require a letter from the Manufacturer of the car stating there are no outstanding recalls… (this is usually free… but sometimes dealers try to charge you for a “special” letter)… a normal print out from their screen works fine…

-If you pass the CT inspection… they will stamp your RIV form and then you will go to the MTO with your cert/etest and pay PST and you’re drivings…

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

since you ultimately pay the GST & PST, do you also pay the state tax where you bought it?

No you don’t pay tax where you bought it because you are exporting… The only way you’d have to pay tax to the state is if you went to register it there. It’s like buying a car from Manitoba and bringing it Ontario… you’ll only pay Ont. Tax

Even at a dealership. I would have a hard time as a dealer selling a used car and not collecting tax without some kind of exemption form.
For example if an American were to purchase a used car from an Ontario dealer. Does he not ask for GST/PST?

thanks for the good info.good thing the car i want is 15 years and older so no worries.if i am buying it from ebay and shipping here i will need it stamped with a RIV before it crosses to the canadian border?