US Car Sales

Hey, I’m sorry if this has been covered, but I did a few searches on the site and didn’t find anything of the sort.

I am thinking of purchasing a used car from the States. I know some people have experience in this area, and I would like to know what I’ll be looking at price-wise.

I have been told that I need to let the border know 48 hours in advance of the importation that I’ll be bringing a car across, and that I’ll have to pay 20% of the sale price or something like that.

I also understand that it will need DTRL and manual seatbelts done within 45 days to pass inspection.

I’d like some info on what the actual buying process will be like down there. Will I just hand the guy the cash and drive away with a bill of sale and the title, or what?

I have also looked over the registrar’s website incase anyone wanted to mention that to me.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Dan

for a car, you don’t need to inform the customs 48 hours in advance. For something bigger, like a boat or so, you would have to.

As far as importing the car into canada, it’s not that hard. You will need all the paper work though and you’ll have to pay the taxes at customs. When you do want to register the car here in Ontario, you’ll have to pass inspection and that’s when they look for DTR lights and so on…

Also, when you buy the car, you’ll need the sales receipt, the title and the registration info…I think that’s all you need to get the car into Canada.

ok, im dumb, can’t u just drive the car over the border with US plates on it, and avoid taxes.
Or just get a bill for dirt cheap

the US border asks you to send them the title 48hrs in advance for export purposes

You could but when you wanna register it here they will just tell you to go back to the border and pay the taxes. Happened to my neighbors recently.

No you gotta tow it man.

Yea i know about the 48 hour rule as I stated it in my first post.

Any other useful information anybody has would be appreciated!

You don’t have to tow it. You will just need a temp plate from the state you are buying it from.

You can’t get one if your not a citizen, can you?

Well anyways, driving it back would be tons of paperwork and too much of a headache, towing is definitely the easiest way to go.

Anything else?

Just make sure if the car is newer than 15 years old that it’s on the RIV’s admissable list.

Then be prepared to pay ~$190, plus GST on the purchase price and 6% duty if the vehicle was manufactured outside of Canada, the US, or Mexico.

Whats the $190 for?
Its a 93 240 im looking at. Its admissable by the RIV, just needs DTRL and manual seatbelts to pass inspection.

I have heard 14% taxes as per usual, then 6% ontop, for a total of 20%.

I am, however, more interested in the actual buying process in the states. Do I just pay the guy, grab the papers, and tow it home? Or do I need to goto the DMV to de-register the car or something like that??

Thanks again.

have you contacted teh Department of transportation (or whatever) in the state you wish to purchase the vehicle?

Seems like an obvious starting point.

If it’s in the admissable column, it shouldn’t need manual seatbelts to pass.

The $190 is the RIV fee. I’m not certain what procedure you need to deregister the car… I don’t think you do anything like that… just make sure you have the title in your name when you show up at the border.

S13GG, I will contact the local DMV once the seller gets back to me on the whereabouts of the car and it’s registration.

Mike, I didn’t know there was a seperate fee, thanks for the heads up :slight_smile:

whereabouts… you don’t know what (US)state the car is in

Oh, its in NY state, but don’t you need to know the municipality or county or something where the car is registered? Or does it just go by state?

I doubt you even have to go to the DMV. You could drive it over to Canada and then deal with all the taxes once you want to register the car, or just pay them right away at the customs.
One of my co-workers did this just 2 weeks ago. Hell, the guy barely speaks English and he managed to import a car from the states, pay all the taxes, do all the paperwork and register the car here in Ontario all by himself, LOL

Honestly, it’s not that hard, I don’t understand why people freak out about importing a car from the states

Thanks for the advice guys, but I don’t think I’ll be buying from the states as of yet, but the advice is much appreciated!