Buying cars from the states

I was wondering how it works if you were to buy a car from the states?
When you pick it up, how do you get it licensed to drive it back?
How do taxes work? Will it even out to the same price if you were to buy a car here?

Car i was lookin at was the three fiddy z.

tree fiddy whuttt dasss phat yo!!!

www.riv.ca

This should be stickied.

Hey,
I got my s14 in the southern states becuase I wanted the cleanest chasis. But it comes at a cost. You have to first pay $180 or something just to riv, then you need to call vehicle manu and get a recall letter faxed to you so you are sure the car has no recalls on it. Then you pay $100 A/C fee, plus 6% duty if the vehicle was not made in the U.S. Then you pay your GST at the border, and PST when you register. Now you will also have to get the car to canadian specs within a month which you get a letter. So you have to spend money on the daytime running lights, child seat ancors, and anything else that they specify. So you have to get that done by a shop becuase you need an invoice to prove that you did it. Then you have to goto canadian tire when its all done and pay for the inspection. Once thats all done you can register the car. Now before you import it the original title must be faxed to the border crossing 24-48 hours before you get there. Then you have to clear the car on the U.S side then the Canadian. You will need to get temp tags for the car from the State you got it in. Not sure how easy that is becuase I got lucky and the dealer could issue me one. When I crossed the border I was lucky enough for a friend to lend me his dealer plates. All in all its quite a headache which I found out as I went along. So make sure you know what your getting into before you do. I hope this info helps. Cheers!

Victor that was an excellent write-up.

The only thing I would change is the length of time before sending the title. It is my understanding that US Customs wants the original title sent to them at least 3 days (72 hours) before the car’s arrival to the border.

Hey,
Yes to be safe it is 72hours, I didn’t have as much time and it was still okay but I was taking a risk. Then you have to hope they don’t give you any hassles exporting it, make sure the car isn’t stolen too haha. They run all the VIN’s ect. I also got hassled on the canadian side not having propor plates since all I had was temp tags from Tennessee. But I got through it eventually and luckily didn’t get pulled over during the 12 hour drive back lol.

I have my eye on a salvageable 350.

According to the owner the only problem is that it doenst start.
He’s asking for 8900$ US. From what i know (seeing the pic) It does not have any type of body damage.

So if i were to import it, id porbably need it to be shipped… I don’t know alot about the mechanical side of cars but, it doesnt seem like it would be that hard to fix…

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=200148592&dealer_id=57734982&car_year=2003&search_type=both&make=NISSAN&distance=200&model=350Z&address=14201&certified=&advanced=&max_price=20000&bkms=1147033712850&min_price=1&end_year=2007&start_year=1981&isp=y&lang=en&cardist=134

How much could this car cost to potentially fix it? :expressionless:

(P.S: Im a noob)

Uhh…

did you miss the part where it said “flood” ?

hahah never EVER buy a flood damaged car. You can ask my mom and her Volvo. The block ended up cracking after a year so we had to replace the motor, then all the electrical stuff is starting to go funny, alarm doesn’t work anymore, horn sounds retarded, one seat just stopped working one day. Trust me flood damage doesn’t look bad but over time things start to go wrong.

flood damaged cars are good for 1 thing…track pigs, buy it, swap the motor out, trip it, put a sr into it. beat the piss out of it.