Buying S14 from the states

Someone posed this idea to me and I’m curious about it.

It was mentioned that I should take a trip down to the states in the spring and buy and S14, and drive it back here.

How do i go about getting it home? I’m concerned about the drive from whatever state, and the crossing the border bit.

To my understanding this process is different from older cars. Under 1995 or 1996 I think.

I searched but I only came with stuff for older cars.

Theres some thing on this site about that…buying a 240 from the states and getting it here, I think they covered all the questions your asking. did you search on here?.
good luck :slight_smile:

I brought a truck up from the states states. It may be easier to trailer it home. I know that you can buy temp plates in ohio, where i bought my truck, that allow you to drive it back but I am not sure about other states. It cost me 140usd to rent a uhaul car hauler for 3 days unlimited miles. I jst rented it where i picked up the vehicle. Before you go to pick it up be sure to call to make sure it is there, the place i reserved one did not have one and I got lucky and found another one nearby. Here is a link for the info on bringing a vehicle back from the states. http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html

Yes as a matter of fact I did search on here. Because I read that thread. As I said. It’s a different process for newer cars. I’ve seen how it was covered for older cars but not newer ones.

its simple. You buy the car, fax the ownership to the boarder 72 hours (they’ll make you wait) before you plan on crossing. You bring it across, pay the tax, and then go to canadian tire for th RIV inspection or whatever its called. done.

if you have any questions on importing an s14 give me a shout. i had to register one just before xmas. check your pms!

with all the hassles involved, taxes, transport costs, travel costs, risk etc… you better make sure that the car is at least $3k cheaper than a cdn equivalent after exchange… otherwise there is no real value in it.

you’d be better off plucking one out of BC

Bing’s got it dead on.

especially right now. with the economy that way it is. research research research! lol good luck

I brought one out of the us, originally was to build a racer out of it, only paid gst at border and pst on us price. paperwork at Lewiston 72 hrs earlier. did not do ctc thing, car is plated here. My other track car is from Sask. much easier

Ok I have been debating the same thing. I agree with Bing…

a) USD is to high to make it worth it…
b) Paperwork is time consuming and costs money\

Right now is now the time to buy UNLESS you bring over an S14 parts car from a REALLY close state.

Someone mentioned something about putting the car on a trailer, is it the same process compared to driving it to the border? Is the 72hrs papers still apply?

I brought a car back on a trailer and yes it is still the same 72hrs. It has nothign to do with the fact that you drive it. Also you can buy temp permits in the state you buy the vehicle in that are valid in canada as well. Makes getting a saftey much easier. Also if you get a truck like I did you must have the weight of the vehicle if it is not on the title.

Yeah, I thought about this as well and there are just too many drawbacks to it.

And I mean, you can’t even see the car without heading all the way over there. Then what if you find out something’s wrong? Canadian dollar is useless right now too. If you find a 240 in the US, it better be damn clean and cheap or else it’s not worth it. I realize other people have already said this, but it’s just too true.

Plus the registration may be troubling as well. My brother recently got an American Supra. It was located in Ontario thankfully but since it’s an American car you have to register it and wait like ten days to get ownership and there may be other problems. Getting cars from the US can be good under certain situations, but for the most part it’s just a hassle.

I had absolutly no problem with my truck. It was as easy as bringing anything else across the border. Pay duty and you also have to pay for the paperwork if the vehicle is less than 15 years old. It is not expensive. You also have to pay the Ontario tax of $100 if the vehicle has air conditioning. You also have to have the vehicle inspected(again only if it is less than 15 years old) by Canadian Tire to check for things like daytime running lights and a child seat tether mount, both are cheap fixes. When you have al the paperwork they mail you within a few days of bringing the vehicle back it is as easy as regestering any Canadian vehicle. There is a link for everythign you need in this thread in one of my other posts. Also, one other thing I was asked for at the border was some sort of proof that I had bought a vehicle in the states and that was the reason I was going there. It honestly took me longer to cross the border into America than it did to come home with a vehicle that I had purchased as well as a rented u-haul trailer that I picked up in the states.

Good info, just didn’t know if u realized this thread was opened back in november