Bringing a car from the states???

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to bring an s14 into canada from the states. I know I need to change the cluster, but what else, and what about at the border for actually getting it across? Any help is appreciated!

I don’t think you NEED to change the cluster. www.riv.ca will have all your answers.

this can be a dangerous thing, i work at candian tire in the garage, and some guy brought in a 71 bronko thats all lifted with 35’s on it. he bought it for 6000 and now to pass out of province it needs 1200 in work. just be careful

I wouldn’t even consider it with something like that bronco. The car I am looking at is an unmodified s14 from california with fairly low milaege and all new brakes, tie rods, etc. I know that it has to go to Canadian Tire as they are the only people certified to do the out of country inspection.
I am just wondering on what all has to be taken care of as far as the border is concerned, proper papers, etc. You do have to change the cluster and the vehicle has to have drl’s as well but those are easy things to accomplish.

From what I recall reading on 780 from Blane or someone picking up an RX7 from Florida, he sent the papers in advance by 72 hours to the border guards b.c thats what the processing time or some such was for them to inspect the vechicle. Then theres air conditioning taxes and so forth tacked on.

You pay 7% GST on ur car. If you lie, and they find out, you pay 50%(I think, coudl be less, or more)

And they investigate, they call your bank, etc.

You DON’T need to change the cluster. You DO need DRLs though.

Am I the only one that thinks that’s bullshit that the government can charge you 7% tax on a used vehicle not even from canada.

They do it because they never got GST on the original purchase price.

And before you complain, think how lucky we are that we can bring cars into our country at all - lots of countries are cracking down on vehicle importation.

and becasue the car is not made in north america you have to pay a 6% duty on it.

You need to have the import papers. The current owner should be able to get them from the DMV down there. from the time it crosses over our border, you have i do believe 14 days to get an OOP done on it. If there are repairs that need to be done, you will be given another 14 days from that day and you don’t repair it, they will either send your car back or crush it!! It is a scary thing to buy a car from OO Country!!

This link might help
http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/mj/import.htm

Are you getting an amazing deal on this vehicle or know the person you’re buying it from? I’m sure Canada has some very clean S14’s that would save a lot of hassle. But if the price is low enough, ya never know.

Rust free 5 spd Silver Moss '97 240sx LE. All said and done it’s gonna be under $9000 and it’s never seen winter, salt, snow, and it’s in from the coast so there is no oxidization or rust from the ocean either. Basically, it is the absolute perfect used car that has been owned by two older people.

RIV.ca says that car is good to go, so have fun.