Importing car from Canada different question

I have to get a letter of compliance from the manufacturer, and a letter that its free of recalls. and sometimes swap out the speedometer. and pay tax when I cross

but my question here is how to get it over the border. I would prefer to, if the owner will have it, leave the old plates on there for the drive home, and put my own insurance on it

can I do that, or do I have to tow the car?

I’d recommened towing it. But you could always have the owner drive it over for you and do business on the US side.

i’ll drive it over as my own then you VIN swap it…done.

The border is a Bitch. The idea of leaving on the plates of the other owner sounds great but wait till you get too the border. IT will be a hassle. They will want to know why you are driving the car with their plates. It will be a pain in the ass.

Second If you are going to tow it over I believe you have to give customs 48 hours notice that you will be bringing a vehicle over.

I had an experience with this. A person bought my motorcycle on ebay. He lived in Toronto. He had to first get all the paper work from me. (Bill of sale, Title) Then he had to go to customs and fill out paper work etc. Not to sure what he had to do . After that It was all good, he was able to bring it over with no problem. Im not too sure if it is the same for bringing a car from Canada to US. I know there is a governmental website on this. Also I think there is a certain place were you have to go and fill out shit Im not too sure what bridge it is. I know it isnt the Rainbow or Peace

Hope this helps

You do not need 48 hours, I’ve just showed up at the border and filled out the paperwork with the car on a trailer before.

haha. nah, this ones actually legal in the U.S., so I’ll be going about it the proper way

thanks though, lol

:word: it’s really not as bad as some ppl make it out to be. but i wouldn’t try that crap with driving it over with the other guys plates, you COULD get away with it, but if you get pulled to customs for any reason, ur fucked.

so i say try to have the old owner drive it down and give him a couple bucks, or get a truck and rent a uhaul trailer

cant do that, gotta bring it over the border yourself to pay duty and get the paperwork

i think hes gonna drive it down to Niagara Falls and I’m just gonna meet him there with a trailer

Yeah, no 48 hours. When I did it I trailered it. The car I bought was actually built in Canada, and this was post-nafta, so no duty :). I did however have to pay the sales tax at US customs. No big deal, I was going to have to pay it when I registered the car anyway. And I got lucky and the newbie at customs was the the suck at math and I ended up paying about half what I should have for sales tax.

But I certainly wouldn’t try the borrowed plates things. If you do hopefully the man with the rubber glove will be gentle.