Importing a car from the US.

I’ve looked on the RIV site.

http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html

NOw my question is, there’s a lot of info there, I’m intetested in getting some info from someone who has fone it already.

The info on that site is only the surface, what I mean I need to know if i can do some of the stuff after it gets here., ie , DRL’s, Speedo, Insepction all that stuff.

My plan is to buy a one way ticket to wherever I find the car. Then drive the bitch home.

I guess my question is, how do i go about doing this? Do I find the car, pay for teh car, get the guy to fax a copy of title and recall letter to the border then just drive up and pay $$$$?

How do I get a 10 day permit afterwards?

I can ask my friend with the RB what he did… then give you more details ill call you later on but definatly get them to fax the documents to the border because then by the time you drive to the boarder the 72 hours required would almost be up

I’ve done it. It was about 4 years ago but as far as I’m aware it’s the same process, I appologize if anything is incorrect.

It’s hard to do in one trip for various reasons, there is a 72 hour period that you have to wait between when you fax the SIGNED ownership to the boarder (not just the bare ownership) and when you can take the car across. This is a very firm rule and if you show up any amount of time less than that they will make you wait until it has been 72 hours.

You technically can’t borrow the previous owner’s plates to drive home because as soon as the back of the ownership is signed, the plates are considered to no longer be registered to the vehicle, even though it hasn’t been processed in the system yet. So yes, you’ll probably be fine but if you get pulled over by a cop that knows a thing or two you could have the plates pulled. I’m speaking from experience on that one too.

You live in Ontario so you have to been in an Ontario licensing office to get a trip permit… but you have to have the signed ownership and insurance on the car to get the trip permit, which is hard to do when you’re in Florida picking the car up.

So you can see there is some fuckery involved… when I imported mine it just came from Michigan so I drove down twice which made it much simpler.

There is a bunch more to it, just be glad all 240s are over 15 years old, it makes importing so much simpler.

Feel free to PM me if you need any more info.