Importing 15 year old cars

I’ve done some research on importing cars into Canada from the US and learned the whole process of what I would have to do. I recently found a 1990 s13 that I’d like to import but I can’t find any information on how to bring in a 15 year old car. Does anyone know what exactly I have to do to get one of these into Canada?

I searched but nothing came up. Please excuse me If this topic has already been beaten to death.

Use an importer, you’ll get the job done right and quickly.

They can arrange pickup and shipping of the vehicle, and complete the inspection and edverything in BC and handle the shipping to here in Toronto or whereever you want it.

Did you find the car on Yahoo Japan?

http://www.riv.ca/

I’m looking at an s13 from New York state. Great shape, no rust, 130,000 miles, 5 spd etc. $1300 (US) I have read the riv.com site but its all in relation to cars made after 1992 (15 years or younger) They say that vehicles over 15 years don’t have the same process but they fail to specify what has to be done.

I’d rather not go through an importer, too much money. Its all pretty simple anyway.

heres my opinion

the 1300 us dollars plus the fees to import and all the paperwork along with transportation will put you around 2500-3000 dollars cdn

for that ammouny you can buy a clean s13 up here with no rust and around the same km’s maybe less.

130,000 miles is close to 200,000 km’s i belive

also us manual seatbelts suck.

this is just my 2 cents

OH, see I thought you meant importing a car from Japan.

I looked into importing from the states. You gotta go, notify the border that your coming with a car 48 hours before hand. Then go and buy the car, get all the neccesarry paperwork when buying a car. Tow the car back (can’t be driven back) and make the necessary changes (DTRL and Auto Seatbelts) and then get the inspection done within 45 days of being imported. Then finally register and drive away.

Matty: I figure for 1300 US I’m gonna be paying roughly 1700 CD. Then the $200 fee at the border, vehicle sales tax, and registration in Canada. After all is said and done (with all Canadian compliances met) I’ll be at around 2500 CD. 130,000 Mi = 209214.72 Km. A bit much, but on auto trader right now a completely rust free, 5 spd hatch is going for $3,490 (248 XXX km). I also know they can be had cheaper than this if you look for them.

Osad:I read all that too, I didn’t know if it was the same for cars over 15 years. They make a note on the webpage about cars 15 years and older being different, I was trying to find out what is different. Thanks for all the info guys. I think monday I’m going to call the RIV office and find out what is needed for cars over 15 years.

If it’s 15 years old or older, you don’t go through the RIV.

You will still need a Form 1… call canada customs to find out exactly what needs to be done or look on their site.

Also…
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/bsf5048/bsf5048-07e.pdf

it is really easy. all you need is the CLEAN title, cash for duty and fees, and the bill of
sale. the bill of sale is very important or you could get turned away. when you get the car
home , get the owner ship transfered and then treat it like any other car. i just brought a
car up from kentucky and had no problems. keep in mind laws change all the time, so call canada
customs to know exactly what you need to do so you don’t get burned at the boarder.

peace

awesome guys, I was really hoping it would be that easy!

Tosh, did you have to install DRL’s or is it a non-issue for the 15+ cars?

they don’t have drl’s here in canada so i believe you don’t need them for the import process.

pm simplemind7 if you have any questions, he’s broughten an opel or two over from the USA

not to be a dick… but yeah we do have daytime running lights here in Canada. Go start your car, then get out and look at the lights. lol.

thanks though, I’ll get in touch with simplemind

the car i imtorted was an 81 corolla. drl’s were not around the then so for me it was not
an issue. for the 240 i am not sure. all i know is when the car is older than 15 years old
you don’t need to deal with all of the RIV crap. converting to drl’s and manual belts may
not apply when the car is 15+years old. the best thing to do is call them just to be sure.
but this really is not hard at all.

peace

If the car never came with DTRL then they cant exactly force you to fab up some DTRLs… 240’s came with them in Canada, so they are a must. Maybe not Zenki s13’s because I don’t think they have DTRL’s, but all other models need them.

91+ needs DTRL and 3rd brake light.

Meh… I dont have either.

Also (not 100% sure on this) 91+ cars would come with DTRL BUT the law/mto only states that a 93+ MUST have them ? ? ?

they’re making all the jdm cars post 91 be equiped with them, so as far as importing a car from the states goes i’m pretty sure the same rule would apply.

3rd brake light is a law from the late 70s/early 80s

DRLs must be on every car manufacturered after December 1989

not to argue but were did this come from? i havew never heard of this before.
do you maen late 80’s early 90’s?

peace

lol he just said early 80’s. I did not see 90s anywhere.