anyone here work on unibody MacBooks?

Ah, thank you! I have two 1 GB sticks.

And with running 8 gigs of ram how fast is your pro compared to out of the box macbook pros?

i actually only have a macbook 2.0GHz and id say its pretty fast. with upgrading the ram and buying a SSD hd my startup is under 30 seconds and i never see the beach ball anymore for things to load. the video card is still pretty good and the only think i wish i had was a backlit KB. i haven’t played around with the new MBpro except in the apple store. anyone know a site for benchmark tests? so i can compare the 2 laptops

You’re talking about a Macbook Core Duo 2.0Ghz model as if it was FAST? A direct comparison might be tricky, since that hardware is terribly old at this point. Ample RAM and an SSD with make an old machine fairly snappy, but its still terribly slow all around compared to newer stuff.

A good CPU/VGA test for OS X is Cinebench R11.5
http://www.maxon.net/downloads/cinebench.html

Run the CPU and Open GL test, you should be able to find comparison numbers for new machines by searching around. Compared to the new Quad i7’s in the 15 and 17 MBP, the 2.0 Core Duo is absolute trash. The new 13" MBP is a huge step up, but I wouldnt recomend buying any MacBook or 13" MBP ever made. They tend to be rather low end hardware. The 11/13" MBA or 15/17" MBP’s are great machines. If you have trouble narrowing it down from there, my recommendation for a daily machine is the 13" MBA in any spec, or the 17" Anti-Glare MBP with 8 or 16GB of RAM. The MBA’s have SSD’s stock, and are very well priced. The MBP’s are a bit spendy, but justified if you can afford it. SSD’s are really key in notebooks, but they’re pricey and relatively low capacity. The MBA’s feel faster in daily tasks than the MBP’s since they have fairly fast SSDs stock. Most people have no clue the hard drive tends to be the limiting factor in most daily tasks.

Wait so your saying new computers are faster then old computers

holy crap

Core2Duo macbooks should still do alright…for a laptop. I have to say, though, that I had one of the newer mac mini’s with a Core2Duo and it was a lot slower than I expected it to be.

My core2duo 2009 MBP is fast the only thing hindering performance like mentioned is the HD…

I have been debating switching to an SSD.

boots in under 30 sec already though

eek nm we are comparing Core Duo vs Core2Duo

yeah I don’t know what the deal was with the mac mini, but it was noticeably slow to the point where I sold it and bought an iMac.

I had built a core2duo hackintosh a few years ago that flew through OSX, so I know the processor can handle it.

Thank you llink for the help and info!

Core 2 Duo’s aren’t that bad, especially a higher clocked one. However, most any Core Duo isn’t very exciting. At least the older MBP’s still had discrete graphics. The non-unibody MB’s had the GMA9400 Intel Integrated which is really quite poor, by any standards. Thew newer 9400M machines are fine.

The performance difference between an SSD and an older 2.5" drive is ridiculous. And if you carry it around often, its nice not having a mechanical drive to worry about. You even have the option of dumping the optical drive and throwing something like a 1TB mechanical in there, and a fast SSD for the boot. If you really want to be super cool, you can toss two identical SSD’s in and run them in RAID0. This only really works on the Unibody MBP’s that have SATA optical drives, the best case would be the 2011 models with 6 gigabit SATA on both the optical drive and main hard drive.

I waiting to see if the larger SSDs drop in price the next couple months…

I plan on doing more traveling and the SSD consumes a lot less power or at least it seems that way.

yes i have the late macbook so it uni body with the core 2 duo 2GHz. i still find it pretty snappy for most things, after more than doubling my ram to 8gb and getting a 160gb SSD (both upgrades only cost me $200 together) the mac feels a ton faster then it was since i got rid of the crappy 320gb 5200 HD. id say spending $200 to upgrade the mac is way better right now then spending 1200-1500 on a new macbook. for my needs i can see this lasting me a few more years. and LION runs pretty good on here

The Unibody MB’s are OK. 8GB of RAM and an SSD surely are great, and cost effective upgrades for older systems.

However, the previous non-unibody MB’s are not very good. Those should just be tossed in the trash.

agreed

So I didn’t feel the need to start a new thread as I have a question about HD’s and Optical drives. I fried the logicboard in my late 2009 macbook pro and then acquired a used 2008 macbook. I’m wondering if anyone knows if the optical drive and/or hard drive from my macbook pro will be compatible to swap into the macbook? If so, would anyone on here be willing to tackle that project. I don’t trust myself to take apart two macbooks and swap stuff from one to the other.

Thanks in advance!

[QUOTE=)><(((x>;3415875]So I didn’t feel the need to start a new thread as I have a question about HD’s and Optical drives. I fried the logicboard in my late 2009 macbook pro and then acquired a used 2008 macbook. I’m wondering if anyone knows if the optical drive and/or hard drive from my macbook pro will be compatible to swap into the macbook? If so, would anyone on here be willing to tackle that project. I don’t trust myself to take apart two macbooks and swap stuff from one to the other.

Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

Hard Drive should be fine, not sure if the optical drives are the same size/form factor though.

I vote on creating new threads, I just read the first 7 posts until i got to the dead picture link to see it’s almost a year old. haha

Haha, sorry. Would anyone like to tackle this project?