anyone here work on unibody MacBooks?

ok so i have a late 2008 macbook without a backlit keyboard. yes i should if went with a Pro but i didn’t know any better. played around with a friends Pro that had a backlit KB and now i want one… instruction on ifixit dosent look to hard for a tech but not this guy http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/12846/Can+I+make+my+2.0+keyboard+backlit+like+a+2.4. was wondering if i bought the film for the backlight if someone would be up to tackle the project. the keyboard does not need to come off just need to get to the bottom of it. Obv willing to pay, $50? not sure if thats a good amount for something that should take a 1/2 hour or so.

You replace the whole keyboard with a backlit keyboard and the adhesive film is to seal the keyboard to the chassis so it doesn’t let liquids in. I would be willing to tackle it, if anyone else doesn’t want too. I have taken quite a few iBooks and MacBooks apart before…

you can buy just the light portion. iv looked into it, ebay has em. you just remove the black backing on the keyboard install the lighted sheet which has adhesive film then reapply the black. ill keep you in mind. i first need to make sure my macbook has the port for the light. forgot to check when i opened her up to replace the ram. there is something like 15% that didn’t come with it

---------- Post added at 12:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 AM ----------

here is the post i first came across http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1149250

If you have it opened why not just tackle it your half way their, just take your time and if you want guidance just ask for it after you tired :slight_smile:

part of me is lazy. the other 1/2 not enough patience. its one thing to remove 8 screws to replace ram another to remove the whole bottom and remove the guts. if your really interested ill order the piece. send me a pm and we can talk a real price not sure if in to low or high. you should know better than me how long and skill lvl

Not to hijack your thread but does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade to 4gb of ram on a late 2009 macbook pro 13"

I’m really good at working with Macs:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/34678_1531703896662_1356690009_1444387_4655665_n.jpg

lol the older macs that you had to completely disassemble to change the HD suckkkk

Not to mention the 15 different screw sizes/types. Why do they have to use TORX screws? Who the fuck owns TORX screwdrivers?

I was more concerned with the metal tape apple installs that if it doesn’t go back perfect the whole thing vibrates lol

This. That tape is a SON OF A BITCH!

you can. i have a late 2008 macbook running Lion with 8gb of ddr3. i have 3gb of ddr3 for sale also… one 2gig stick and a 1gig stick

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 PM ----------

ok well i guess I’m part of the 15% of MacBooks that don’t have the right main board for a backlit KB :frowning: was really hoping this would of worked its the only thing I’m missing

Anyone ever change out a Superdrive in an intel MacBookPro? Wife’s shit the bed…

unibody? seems pretty easy. there are 8 screws holding on the bottom cover. and the drive has i think 4 screwes and a ribbon cable. i was thinking about getting rid of mine to replace with a 2nd HD

llink how much? And would 1 extra gig of ram really make much of a difference? I have 2 gigs currently.

i had the 3 gigs listed for $15. but will get rid of it for $10. i would say try to find another 2gb stick to have 4gig. i think i have seen some 2gb ddr3 sticks on CL not to long back

Forgive me for being unfamiliar with RAM, but if I picked up your 3 gigs, could I use my original 2 gigs plus your 2 gig stick and have 4 gigs?

yes. as long as you only have a 2 gig stick in there.click on the little apple logo and click about this Mac. see if there are two 1gig stick or one 2 gig stick. if your only have 1 stick in there pop it open and install the other 2 gigs

Memory: 2 GB

That’s all it says, does that mean 1 gig stick? Also, I do NOT trust myself to pop open my macbook lol.

ok go to system information and look under the memory tab it will say whats in bank one and bank two. and if both are fee or one is available