Anyone in NC?

I’m looking to see whats down there.
Jobs / people / community.
Auto forums?

I have family down there and have been down there a few times and love it.
I didn’t have a chance to get out much to see whats to do for fun.

This is sort of long, but I wanted to try to fit it all in.

I live in Charlotte now. I was looking for biotech/chemist/laboratory jobs so I can’t say much for other jobs, but it took me a few months but I found something decent.

I like it here and only really have a couple complaints. There is way too much traffic even between like 6 am and 9 pm. There are several accidents every rush hour and people drive like maniacs. Charlotte is nice, in a generic kind of way. Waaaaay too many chain stores/restaurants/etc. I’m starting to find more off the beaten path stuff now but one-of mom-and-pop stores are certianly less common here than Buffalo, and it’s definitely something I miss.

There is such a huge mixture of people from here. Most people you will meet will not be from here originally. You do meet those super old-school the south will rise again people too. There is also a huge difference in southerners that grew up near cities and out toward the mountians like in Boone. It’s hard to explain but they really can’t grasp the concept of the world not where they grew up. Real southerners like it their way, no one can tell them different, and we northerners are ruining things. There is a huge mexican population here so there is a lot of good authentic mexican food. There is a large population of Buffalo/WNY area people here so there are things that are geared for us. I go watch Bills and Sabres games downtown at a bar called Tavern on the Tracks, there is an alright Buffalo style pizzeria in Huntersville and a couple other scattered Buffalo bars. There is also a pretty good Buffalo bar in Raliegh. It’s nice to have something like that around.

Overall I’m glad I came. I’ll probably stay a few years and probably get my Masters since this job will pay for it. I’ve gone to almost all the cities I care to visit with in eight hours of Buffalo and it gets me closer to a lot of new places being here. Overall I enjoy being here now, but I’m not sure it’s somewhere I will stay forever.

NC’s unemployment rate is pretty bad right now. So, there is a lot of job market competition.

As a place, it is awesome. Raleigh has A TON of healthcare related jobs. I do IT, my gf does marketing…we both work for healthcare organizations.

IMO, Raleigh is a cleaner, more homey city (than Charlotte). Feels nice and cozy. Since it is the capitol, it is kept VERY clean. Raleigh has confusing roads, but in general, they are very efficient.

The people in Raleigh are all 95% transplants. Every now and then, I meet someone who was born and raised here, and I am completely shocked, lol. Less mexicans than Charlotte, but we are in the south, so theres a bunch of them around.

www.importsnc.com for the local car scene. They have been doing some pretty successful meets in Raleigh lately. There is always something going on in Charlotte.

Well actually the northerners are ruining things. I spent 4 years in NC. You can see the BS northern influence everywhere. BS gun laws, HOA’s whining about farms, people not tolerant of country living… NC had a boom in growth, and northerners flocked there to fill the void, bringing all the crap that has messed NYS and California up. Its understandable that they are not too happy with the BS social program idea of living. Look what it did to the northern states.

2 cents givin.

I have been to Boone and do agree with the old fashion people I have met down there.
I would be going to Statesville, looking for a tech or parts job to get myself on my feet. Then start looking for a career move. I do love it down there, I would want to get away from this northern crap.

and oral sex!

I wasn’t saying northern influence should make it better thing just that there are people that aren’t huge fans of northerners in general. I probably just didn’t say it right. After all I moved here for a change of pace. There are somethings that I would be okay with them changing. You miss out on things like lights on roads anywhere that isn’t downtown. It’s something little but you notice it when it’s not there.

I went to Raleigh about a month ago and from what I saw I almost like it more than Charlotte. Realistically I am probably going to end up moving that way with the bigger colleges and the biotech triangle in the area.

anyone want to bring a jet ski up from nc to buffalo lol

Couldn’t have said it better myself, I’m In Myrtle Beach, 3 hours from Charlotte and just 45 minutes from NC itself. Sad to say that charlotte is one of the nicer areas and it’s still not the same as living in a more diverse city like Buffalo. Everything here is chicken this and chicken that, :lolsign:

Still happy with my move though, I’ll have a summer house in buffalo in the future for sure though :tup:

Taxes are way cheaper, I have a 5 bed 3 bath and it’s 6 months old and taxes this year were $639.00 and .25 acre lot and thats it. This house in Amherst would be 5k+ easy

Relaigh is nice too!