Anyone know about backhoes/loaders?

I’m in the market for one currently, looking to keep it no more than 7k or so.
Any suggestions on what to do?

A friend of mine told me to stick with Case or JD.

I really am pretty clueless here.
I know obvious stuff, to look if it smokes on a cold start, leaks, simple crap…

Are there dealers around here that sell older used equipment?

My other issue is transporting it… I was going to buy a 7000# trailer to move it with, but then I realized they weigh upwards of 15-17k… Not to mention I don’t have a vehicle that can pull such weight. So I figured I would just call up a contractor or something that has their own trailer for moving their equipment, and pay them a bit to deliver it to my property.

I was actually looking at this guy here…
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/grd/2165843416.html
Rebuild the motor, and it’s good as new… right?
But without it running, how can you know if everything else works as it’s supposed to?

Price out a rebuild first. Then see what left over budget you have to fix other possible hydralic issues or what not if it has them.

How large are you looking? Do you need something that big?

My dad just picked up a 23hp Kabota last summer and while it’s not huge, it works great for working around the house and doing some serious projects. I believe he got a 2356 or something like that. He bought new though. We’ve put it through hell, and Kabota seems to make a pretty good tractor. B2620 http://www.kubota.com/product/BSeries.aspx

Nope, don’t need something that big.
But have a hard time finding something smaller with a backhoe attached.

I really like Kubota tractors, but they’re way out of my price range :stuck_out_tongue:
The size of what your dad has is all I need really.
Plus it would make it a hell of a lot easier to haul around lol.

So your looking for a compact tractor with a back hoe attachment?
I HATE kabota tractors…
You will wont to make sure the hydraulic lines are all in good shape not old and cracked along with the hydraulic system as its the blood line of the tractor.
Also for what you want go hydrostatic.
also think about future attachments, say a snowblower or something, you will want to be able to mount it on the front, well in my case I wish I could with our 1720.
JD compact tractors are nice, but your only getting parts and break downs directly from JD.
Another thing is to make sure the roll bar folds in half so you can get around in some lower spaces, but NEVER take it off. Mine has save me form countless branches falling.
IMO find your nearest tractor dealer and see what they got used. Ford ( New Holland ), Case IH, massey ferguson.
Check around on craigslist also. Your going to want something in the 20-25 hp range.

Yea, totally agree they can be a chunk of $$ (He bought it as a retirement toy, so he can do odd jobs with it for side $$), he’s got a 7k# car trailer that he uses to haul it with.

Older JDs are good, but $$, The Older Cub Cadet ones I’ve heard good things about as well.

Make sure you get good tires. I got my buddie’s 2920 stuck in about a half an inch of mud. Those tires suck, get real tractor tires. I am looking at a mini excavator they are waaaaay more useful/versatile.
My 2 cents.

1/2" of mudd? wow… We buried my old man’s 2620 in 4wd, frame deep in mud with turf tires before it got stuck. We ust used the bucket to push itself right out. We did this with maybe 8 hours on the tractor too. lol. We beat the snot out of that thing this past summer and it never missed a beat.

Lucas (luke_L) can attest… he was helping me out a ton. Nothing like jumping on the 3-pt hitch with a post hole digger to get it to grab the rocks and concrete chunks we were cutting through.

Last time I got the 1720 stuck there was mud across the floor board and I had to build myself a platform so I could get the big case backhoe there to dig it out. I do agree with the real tires, but disagree with mini excavator . WAY more options for a compact tractor.

It was raining and it was on/in clay (like grease). Back hoes suck for any tight spots and they don’t dig as well as a real excavator unless they are big which makes them even less versatile. The work I did last time I rented an ex could not have been done with a tractor. If you don’t have to trees buildings or other obstacles backhoes are ok. An Ex turns in tiny circles, is short, AND can pivot 360 degrees. Back hoes have buckets hanging off the other end which sucks, and they can’t turn for shit. Again just my 2 cents.

Wow I need spell check. lol

depends on future attachments, and knowing WTF your doing. you can 180 a tractor if you know how.
I brushhog, plow, disc, box, back blade used to snow blow and as soon as i find a PTO generator i’ll be using that

^Truth, if you are going to be needing attachments. if you just want to dig and move dirt an ex would do the job.
One thing I did learn while looking at tractors is the frame mount diggers are much better than the 3 point mounts or whatever for real serious digging. An Ex is ten times easier and quicker to dig with because it can spin on the tracks, rotate the cab AND pivot the arm all with out even moving back or forth. And it is half of the length so it fits in area that are pretty tiny.

Is something along the lines of a Kubota BX2200 enough to actually do a driveway?
Can only lift somewhere around 550lb, Is that really enough to dig up a driveway and redo it?

This is probably the most difficult task the tractor will have, so I just want to make sure it’s up to it.

Granted I assume I can only take half bucket fulls and what not if it can’t, and a lot depends on bucket size etc…
But I don’t want to get something I’m going to get frustrated with and then give up on.

edit;
im also going to open up to the idea of a skid steer…
however I’d prefer a tractor… as I’m losing the backhoe, but gaining a lawn mower :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t see why not, the 550# is a good amount of weight. We were moving 500# loads of concrete (10 50# bags) around my yard when we were setting fence posts and it didn’t miss a beat. Also did some serious digging/leveling behind my garage and the bucket dug right in to the heavy clay.

My dad didn’t get the back-hoe attachment; he just got the bucket, a 60" mower deck, and a post hole attachment. He’s been searching and keeping an eye out for other attachments though.

Oh, and once you drive a tractor with hydraulic power steering and can steer it with a finger… you’ll realize how bad lawn tractors SUCK!!!

I’ve noticed a few without spilt braking to. Eff that couch, I’d be lost. I can tell you I can get enough weight in the bucket that the rear tires wont touch without something decent sized on the 3 pt.
550 is a decent amount of weight. Skid steers SUCK in snow / mud they have very low ground clearance. I’d get one stuck on the farm weekly in just about nothing.

^Skid steers are way over rated.

^^If you don’t have any rocks or roots a bucket will dig but it will be stopped dead with anything in the way.