Anyone know anything about Mac Laptops?

My girlfriend is a graphic designer and she has an Old School iMac and she’s looking to upgrade. She really doesn’t know much about computers other than how to turn them on and run her programs so she’s kind of out of the loop.

I’m looking for suggestions on what laptop would be a good pick for the graphics intensive work that she does. Also if anyone works at a Mac store or knows someone and could help us out, that’d be cool too.

someone on here works at ubmicro. As for a mac for editing graphics, if ur looking to throw down a pretty penny u can get a g5 powerbook. Theyre reallly nice machines and very powerful

Camaro Joe knows works at UBmicro. He’ll probably have the best prices too, however there really isn’t much flexing on the price with those from what I’ve seen.

x…

he can get u the student discount pretty much, anyone that goes to college can go to apple store with student id and get student discount.

i would goto the mac store they can advise u what to get

there is no such thing…powerbooks are g4s…but still a pretty penny

your girlfriend will be fine with an ibook

im pretty sure but not positive that they have a g5 powerbook, but ive been wrong before, im gonna look it up

nope, no g5 powerbook, ur right, im wrong

they dont…if they did it would be 4 inches thick…im sure they will soemday figure it out, but they dont as of now

Jack bauer is in their commercials so you had better buy one.

<— works at UBMicro and gets them at academic prices.

I’d get the new MacBook. But they aren’t shipping until March. But quick laptops from what they have said.

PM me with what you are looking for and I’ll see if we can help.

We might have some last revision Powerbook 15" and 12" laptops that we might discount more than academic also.

Plus I don’t get commision, so I don’t care what you end up getting or how much you spend. I don’t mind helping out.

BTW, we have 1GB Nanos in stock for $129 in addition to every other iPod.

wait wtf…thats stupid cheap…arent they only in 2GB and 4GB tho???

No, now the Nanos are in 1GB, 2GB and 4GB. The Shuffles droped in price and will probably be killed off shortly.

:tup: 129 good deal

thanks guys for the input… camarojoe, you have a PM.

just used my student discount on sunday to get poopra the new 1 gig nano and also used it to get myself the 30 gig video.

i thought it was just software, accessories, and ipods the we get student discounts on though, not computers.

TurboTSI, I got your PM, I’ll reply to it a bit later when I can be in front of a computer for longer.

In the meantime, check out our ehhhh looking webiste for some pricing:
www.ubmicro.buffalo.edu

Apple has retail and academic pricing. Once in a while Apple runs a promo with us and we get a system with 3 year AppleCare at a discount. But wither way, our Apple prices are cheaper than retail.

I’ve hoooked up a ton of people with iPods though. I think Butch has a store he runs out of his basement now :slight_smile:

Sidenote - UBMicro does have great pricing on software and some decent discounts on hardware. It all really depends on what you want to get.

I have access to a few different vendors and can get some stuff at decent discounts. If you are looking for pretty much anything electronic, I can see what I can get it for. PM me with requests.

I JUST picked up a G4 powerbook refurb 15" 1.5ghz 80gb hd, combo drive (CDRW/DVD Read), the light up keyboard (It’s icy hot stunnaz stylez for the dark yo) for 1379 from www.smalldog.com great place to deal with. I’m very happy with the screen size (tiz pretty big). you can’t touch the refurb price even w/ a student discount. the laptop is a last year… retailed for 1999. Comes with a 1 year waranty and I believe you can get applecare if you want.
I’m a mac guy so I can def help if you need it.

if she can wait… and wants to spend the money… I’d wait till the price on the new intel based macs come down… or they have an intel based iBook.
Their laptops are solid computers… my old clamshell ibook took a beating, went to class every day with me… and lived over 5 years. It took some scars (Have to use a screwdriver in the hole to charge it… and I killed the sound card) both because I wasn’t being carefull, and dropped it by the power / headphone cord which moved them on the mobo a lil bit.