Anyone own or know owners of smart cars?

Let me see if I have this right. You’re going to buy a 14k car you don’t really need just so you have something small for your 50 mile commute. That’s 13000 miles a year.

@17mpg you’d spend $3058 in gas @ $4/gal. With all the cars you talk about owning you must have something that could average 17. Shit, I bet that new Challenger could average 17 if at least part of the trip was highway. Not many WNY commutes could be 50 miles round trip without at least some highway driving.

@32mpg you’d spend $1625 in gas @ $4/gal, a savings of 1433/year.

So in 9.8 years you’ll pay off the car.

Add in insurance, registration, maintenance, sales tax and you’ll be lucky to see a ROI in 15 years.

If you’re not paying cash you have to add in interest on the loan making it even worse. If you are paying cash you have to consider how much you could make by properly investing that 14k.

Bottom line, this is a worse idea than the jump to conclusions mat in Office Space.

I didnt the smart for two too much, little tin can, lots of road clatter, I didnt think it was very well built. The Mini , on the other hand, was very nice, didnt like the price tag very much at all. The car i priced out was 35 and change. Thats allot of money for a little car. I will have to look somewhere else for a little toy to put around in. Should have kept my beetle!
Middle june my hemi is slated for delivery, so I guess I should get used to spending lots of $ on fuel.

stop making sense to this guy… remember he has more $ then everybody… every post he talks about what cars he has/is going to buy… so dont question him!

Im always changing what I drive, What cars would u like to see? I have sold everything but my 2 trucks my old regal, mynova, 68 camaro and my atv and harley. Only sold my fleet because i have no room, and i want garage space for the challenger I also want to buy a high end german car.
House I bought so thats done also.

Do smart cars pass crash tests or do they not have to?

JayS if you forgot to factor the premium gas surcharge

All that math and I forgot all about that. :lol:

You’ll never make up the purchase cost of this stupid car. Buying a car just to save gas is like the mechanical version of corn ethanol. You’re always going to put more in than you get out. It might look good to stupid greenies and political types, but educated people are going to laugh at your stupidity behind your back. Or maybe in your face.

why not buy a cavalier for $1000?

decent milage, very cheap to buy these days, easy to work on if maintainence is needed, and easy to scrap when done

:gotme:

my dad just sold his.it was too expensive to keep it in the states considering he baught it from canada.it was a 3 cylinder turbo deisel beast.it was a little goofy to drive too.it was auto with a slap shifter and paddle shifters.even tho it was auto it would dip like a 5 speed car.it got about 60 to the gallon with spirited driving.i loved the car, you wont be dissapointed if you get one.
stock stereo and head unit sucked bad tho

the turbo diesel ones are the hotness… F the petrol cars we get here

Um, because A LOT of people enjoy driving stick. I know that if I ever bought a sub-compact car I’d get it with a stick just to make it a bit more enjoyable.
God, you’re such a dick.

what… I’m glad I still have joe blocked… that’s some stupid logic.

automatics suck in low powered cars because they end up hunting for gears all the time and also make even less power. (see all lower power european cars)

ON top of that the smart is not an automatic, it’s a computer controlled sequential transmission.

just buy a mini motorcycle like dumb n dumber…you can get 60 miles to gallon on that hog!

My duramax gets 32-35 mpg higway which is great, only problem is it cost me 135 dollars to fill up 2 weeks ago. Drove to pa and back for an atv trip, 219 miles and less then 1/4 tank! Great on Fuel! Mabe its cost effective to drive it, I dont like to drive it, its my plow/tow truck. I only plow with it and tow my trailers. Now im not plowing with it anymore I guess I should just drive it. I only have 23,000 miles on her so far, since new.

Your duramax does not get 32-35mpg

they slammed it into a concrete barrier at 70mph, and It did better than most cars do.
I still wouldnt own one.

Yes.

Yeah, I called shotgun one run. Very deceiving from the inside, the seats to the windshield had all the normal space of a midsized car.

Way over nannied.

As mentioned before, I would get a Fit > Rabbit > Versa > Yaris (xD,xB) before a smart.

God, you’re such a dumbass. Ever hear of as-purchased configuration statistics? Neither have I, I just made it up, the point is that the VAST MAJORITY of cars sold in the NA market are 6 cylinder auto mustangs despite how much everyone on this site would prefer them to be 1600HP supercars.

:fail:

Just because you could open a door, doesn’t mean you would have lived. Glad you have a firm understanding of the dynamics involved in an auto crash and the silly idea behind crumple zones.