Anyone recommend a shop..

That has experience working on Z’s. I just wanted to get my shift knob put on. I was going to attempt this myself but read that I could seriously f"up my tranny if I use to much force.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh and vendors please feel free to chime in!

Happy Holidays!

Rz33:)

There’s plenty of write ups on this on my350z.com

Basically just take of center console around the shifter (just pull, plastic clips). then get a plier and clamp underneath the shift knob (the metal part) and then twist the knob off…

Hi XuperXero,

Yes I did see those, and was intending on performing the job myself (i am somewhat mechanically inclined) but just thought that if it was cheap enough, I would take it to a shop and save myself some time.

Thank you for the input though.

Happy Holidays!

Rz33:R

Or you can just donate to the “Tyres for David Trust Fund”… he’ll probably hook you up! :smiley:

^^ :smiley:

Ok,
So I got the finisher off no problems. Now I cant get the freaking oem knob off. Because I am unsure of how much force I should use, I am hesitant to try any further…

It seems as if the shaft may start to twist if I use any more force then I have.

I used a locking vice grip but it still seemed like the shaft was going to twist, so I stopped (it may have slightly, although I did not hear any grinding)

So, how much do I need to donate? to get David to twist the dam knob off for me… I WILL BRING THE TOOLS!:slight_smile:

Oh, I will be in richmond hill tomorrow for X-Mas dinner, I can meet you!
hahah.

Help! I dont want to F*up my tranny!..

by changing the shift knob? i really doubt that’ll happen … you’re worrying too much over nothing

^I do!
hehe, I did a little research online and found that I probably did not f* anything up. I am going to give it a try later on today before I head out for dinner.
Cheers everyone and Merry X-Mas!

to change the shift knob you need a tight grip do not use any tool to turn it i used my hands it took a while but i got it to nudge and finally took it off i didn’t install a new shift knob but when i was doing my audio install i had to go through this step it is very simple i tried using a tool to grip it and it scared the shifter a little =(
there is a little ring that holds the shifter do not lose it

Quy

pics of the new knob? which one did you get?

I finally got it off, had to use the largest vice grips I have ever seen and my trusty pipe wrench. At first I thought it was going to break but I got pissed and just turned till the lock tight finally gave in. It was a byatch!

Oh, I got the forged performance shift knob. I would highly recommend this knob, quite a change from stock. I have to go for a cruise so I will take a pic in about an hour.

Cheers,

R

Ring? do you mean the spacer the OEM shift knob uses?
If so, I removed the spacer 'cus it would rattle at high rpms.

Cheers,

R:)

cool knob, i wonder how cold it’s going to get over winter, and how hot it gets in the summer. I like the nismo black didlo right now, but no really inclination to swap out a perfectly good knob.

Not sure how cold it will get, I will be driving to my girls later so I will let you know. Its not really that cold out right now, only -10 with wind. But it should give me a good idea of how cold it could get. From what I have read online it doesnt heat up at all.

The oem shift knob is now a table ornament. hehe

Mine’s all worn out from all the power shifting… hahaha… the entire passenger side of the knob is all peeled/rubbed off from my palm…

U’d be surprised how fast they wear out, one time at track with clean hands i went on. after some laps of driving, i had black particles on my palm :eek:

Just got back, and the shifter wasnt cold (minor if at all).

David, I hate the oem shift knob, couldnt stand the golf club like feel, heheh.

I must admit, that the shifts feel cleaner with the heavier shift knob. I would guess that it being a solid piece that was cnc’d must add to this effect, either way great change.

I am feeling the rogue engineering SS next. Anyone try? I have read some bad things about others, well some good, but mostly bad.
I know david hasnt tried one, but how bout Noodleman & gonein60’s?

I think I will be ordering one this week.

Churchill, I dont mind the oem shiftknob… except for the fact that it slips out of my hand occasionally since my hands aren’t big enough for it -_-…

which probably explains the leather wear on mine, i probably grip it harder than most hahaha

David,

You need this shift knob, it would look tight with your interior!
http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/IA35/50-3534
:smiley:

The steering wheel is also nice. They have 2 to choose from.

lmaoooo but it’s still oem style. If i do get a knob, i’ll be looking at the nismo leather one, perfect size for my palm.

haha, you said you liked the oem! :smiley: