Anyone running Kumho Ecsta SPT?

That 63 degree day yesterday got me thinking I need to order up a set of tires and get them mounted to my summer rims. I’m looking for a pure summer tire since I have snows and don’t want to spend too much since I’ve had trouble with burning them up in 5k miles or less.

From what I’ve been reading I think the Ecsta SPT is probably my best bet but wondered if anyone on here had experience with them.

Probably do a couple autocrosses and at least one track day but I’m not looking for every possible second in either case, just out there having fun.

i had them, and liked them better than my es100’s. they weren’t azenis, but that means they didn’t drone like whoa.

tire rack has a couple of tests with them

I had at set of ES100’s on the Fiero and really liked them so that sounds good. Azenis are great but 200 treadwear gets expensive on a DD.

I saw the first tire rack test in BigRon’s thread and found the other one this morning.

That’s what I put on my Jetta last summer. Seemed to autocross alright, but it was my first season so I wouldn’t have known bad from good. :shrug:

After 3 autocrosses they were pretty noisy (cupped), but I guess that’s not uncommon??

For $65 bucks each or whatever they were I’d run em again. :gotme:

Hmmm, I need to pick up a new set of fronts as well… I was think goodyear or bfg summer perf, but I didn’t realize these were so cheap.

wait, you actually took part in an automotive event??? annnd you’re a mod???

:stuck_out_tongue:

Hey man, I went to 3 autocrosses AND a novice school!

But they wouldn’t let me be a mod until I sold the Jetta and got an un-autocross-able vehicle.

I change my own oil too.

ummm, whats wrong with driving the wifes mehzduh?

i have the SPTs, for the price they are okay.

prepare for little traction when turning

Compared to what? 200 treadwear Azenis or RS2s? Other summer tires? R-comps?

I have them right now on my S. They stick nicely for me and Ive had them for about 4-5000 miles and they still look really good on tread. I’ve taken them out into the mountains out here about 4-5 times too.

I had Advan Neova’s before the Ecsta SPTs and I don’t really notice a difference between them at all. The Neova’s were slightly stickier but they are about $150 more per tire.

Yeah I have about 2500 miles on a set. They’re alright…great for the price.

Still haven’t really overdriven them, but you can they’ll let go a little sooner than what I was running, potenzas.

When I get the camber fixed so it doesn’t chew the outside of the front tires every 5k, I’ll get better rubber…

toe will eat up the inside of a tire a lot faster than camber. i would put my money on that being your issue… especially if your car is lowered

wouldn’t it make much more sense to get your car aligned for the sub $100 it costs than buying new tires every 5K miles? lol

quality. isn’t this the entire point of sport tires?

if i were to draw a venn diagram, ‘making sense’ and ‘90% of nyspeed’ wouldn’t be in the shared space.

Not when the setting they need to adjust is non-adjustable in stock form. It’s a new car, dealer has done all they can do twice, basically nothing. All the speed6’s do this. These spt’s I’m running, I actually got paid for by Towne Mazda, and M&B and nirtogen for free. The cars need more negative camber in the front, along with some better alignment specs.

I’d have to get the adjustable ball joints, then get them installed, then get the car re-aligned. ~ $500.

my ss has khumo’s on it and I HATE THEM. THEY SUCK. Supra Ecsta’s i think is the name, they came on the wheels i bought

the 712’s and 711’s i think they are totally suck balls. the spt is a different tire all together.

gotcha, nevermind then.

my tires still suck though

I have never personally ran those tires but I know a few people that have and they all liked them.

jay don’t you autocross? why would you buy a tire like this with the intent to race on them?

just curious - if you have a set of wheels for autocross then obviously this doesn’t matter. These just seem way hard to race on with any serious hopes?