Anyone want work? 4g63 engine rebuild (or recommend a shop)

This is for my brothers 4g63 97 eclipse, gst spyder. Guess it started knocking, took it to a shop in Tonawanda, they are terrible. Been sitting for a month, not motivated to help, and doubling the price of a basic rebuild.

I don’t live in WNY anymore, and he’s not too smart to make his own calls. I called Innovative and J and L and swerve, but doesn’t look like they are able to do it anytime soon.

Its pretty much the same price if not cheaper to put in JE / Eagle parts. Guess it needs bearings too, and maybe a crank. The lack of information provided by the shop is frustrating.

So if anybody wants to install the parts (He can order them), and maybe Hone out the bad cyclinder, PM me and we can work something out. *needs to be done fairly soon. I don’t check this site too often, but PM’s go to my email.

Or if you can recommend a different place to call, thanks!

If I were in Buffalo, I would just do it, that’s an easy job. Doesn’t Innovative have a shop that does some engine work for them? I would see if you can get their number. If you are willing to have it brought up to Rochester, we have a number of machine shops that would do a great job.

Paging Carnut …

Innovative said they might install the parts, but nothing more (in the event of honing being needed). Said they prefer that I find someone else though.

pm devioustsi or like already stated carnut

If your gonna go to devious, you’ll probably be waiting. He’s got a couple builds lined up already and is getting swamped.

Buy a motor from TorontoJDM and get to swapping. I know someone that might do that for you. He doesn’t build motors but he’ll swap it for you for the right price.

I was at that shop getting my girlfriends car fixed and I was talking to him about it, He was talking some crazy money for that car. I’ve never had a problem going to that guy. You could try Dayo’s garage, I know he does a lot of 1g stuff and he has done some good work for people in the past at a great price.

Ok, thanks for the info, we’ve been calling yards and scouring Clist for a 4g63, but turning up empty handed (brothers on a huge budget limit, borrowing money from parents) , ill try the toronto place, and send some PM’s. I’ll keep you updated

I’d go the toronto jdm route if I was him. You could do a budget build, but if it isn’t done right, your out that money. Finding someone to do a budget build for you this time of year is gonna be tough. If you take the money you’d spend on a build and buy a toronto jdm motor, your pretty much guaranteed to get a good runner that will last you awhile as long as proper maintenance is done.

My friend said he would do the swap for you as he’s looking for side work.

Gary. /thread.

Going to swap it, getting prices from a few recommendations from the board, any other ideas im open, thanks for the advice!

Yeah Gary is real busy around these times to the point you can’t reach him. Like said your better off getting a guaranteed running motor. And yeah Dayo in Tonawanda, does good work he knows dsms mostly worked on 1gs but he could do a swap for you if need be.

who is Dayo and how do I contact?

gary is swamped i had to get my car out of there lol

Dayo’s Garage its on 15 Filmore Ave in City of Tonawanda right down in front of the canal only number listed in a search is 694-3050, I think his cell number is on the door of the building IIRC

Update: Been working with Dayo, neutral satisfaction so far, kept trying to sell us replacement parts such as water pump when we told him we’re on a bare bones budget.

He DID find crankwalk in the TorontoJDM motor. WAYYYY out of spec. So now we’re having to deal with toronto and make send a nice motor and take this one. Dayo said it’d be a complete waste to even consider putting this motor in, and have it walk shortly after. Also, turns out the 16g turbo we had in there was shot, (again from the original problem of low oil), so back to t-25 it is!

pm pschopjv…

ok, more updates. TorontoJDM stated that since the compression was good , it is not a bad engine, even if there is a crank “problem” ,which you all know is notorious. Offered a refund, but we have to return the engine at our own expense. Also, they never told us that their JDM engine wouldnt exactly match ours, we had to invest a 100 or 200 to getting the parts to match

:word:

When something has to be done quickly… Gary is likely busy. Good work takes time…

How much in/out play is there on the crank??? They all have some. That is to be expected. Get a dial caliper on it. Up to .010 isn’t bad.

And as far as the not direct swap thing goes, those motors are all out of old JDM Evos and the such. Of course they are not 100% identical to the 2G motor your taking out. Your essentially doing a 6 bolt swap. There are things you’ll reuse off the old 7 bolt and there are a few 1G parts you’ll have to source. Is the motor you got a 6 or 7 bolt??

The water pump thing would be more piece of mind than anything. It would suck to get everything back together only to find out you need to do the water pump.

I was expecting that turbo to be junk. In my experience, many times when the motor pops, it takes the turbo with it.