anyone with experience with carbon fiber

i was wondering if anyone has experience or know a place that does carbon fiber stuff, i dont know is SCAP does or not. i have been lookin to get a few things done in CF

by done do u mean wrapped or fabbed from scratch?

Contact Zer0DazE…

where can i buy the mat?

my fibreglass guy is having problems finding it in Canada so i wanna find some and bring it in

fabbed from scrach i really want a CF hood but no one make one that dont look like rice

u can buy fiberglass matte at advanced auto or auto zone that where i alwasy get mine but kevlar is different than matte that u can gte on ebay

what kind of car do u have? most cf hoods have a oem option

having a hood fabbed from scratch in CF is NOT going to be cheap

the bracing has to be made, and then the "skin has to be done in a mold with the bracing be put in place before the skin is cured so that the edges can be folded over while the resin is still soft

this is why wrapping is most often done, instead of fabbing from scratch

LAFENGAS

if you fab guy cant even find common materials you may want to find someone else. this is like an auto detailer asking where to buy wax.

the materials for making the mold and the finished product will cost well over a grand. factor in mark up and time, and you are looking at a really expensive hood.

Buy a hood that is close to what you want and modify it.

I didnt think anyone local had access to a good autoclave or oven.

it could be made with vacuum infusion. i assume its probably only for bling anyways.
shit, you could probably just do an overlay if its only for looks.

True, I just assumed. I’m not a big fan of CF when it isnt used for a purpose. Fiberglass will do 99% of the time. I forgot about that “bling” factor.

fashion over function
:slight_smile:

I have a severly chipped hood, a CF replacement is cheaper than the factory hood, hence will be my nexxt move if i cant get it repaired. The CF will be painted though.

to do a one off hood you are looking at easily 2-3k

you should contact JSP… they are here in buffalo, and maybe they want to make ahood for you? i doubt it… what kind of car anywyas

i didnt ask where to get the materials.

and no its not really for just show i want a functional hood to get the hot air out of the engine bay, turbo = lots of heat.

i have a saturn SC so its not like there is a huge aftermarket for them but what they do make is either oem CF hood which i dont want cause no vents and the invader style hood very rice. this is the one i would like and it would kinda fit but i would have to do a bunch of swapping of parts

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=egnsearch.asp&N=115+400375+306437&Ne=100010&NeXID=100010

i actually asked JSP a few years ago and you need a min buy in of 10 people.

i mixed up your post and bings.

try contacting josh, he does great work. (hes great with his hands :touchy: ) he may be able to do something for you, but you are going to be well north of 1k for something like that.

well, if you are hardcore DIY enough, you could use your stock hood as a template and make something totally custom. take it off the car, and cover the bottom side in tin foil and tape the seams with masking tape. then by fiberglass woven cloth and make a mold of the structual stuff on the underside of the hood. use like 3 layers to make it strong. then for the top side, use some bulk foam and make forms of the shapes of the vents you want in the hood, and tape them onto the top of the hood. then cover it all in foil/tape as you did on the bottom. lay 2 layers fiberglass cloth, then the final layer in CF, all using CLEAR epoxy resin. cut holes into the relative places on the scoops and add your mesh. done

materials should cost a few hundred bucks if you buy a roll of CF on ebay and a roll of fiberglass cloth. then tell me where you found clear epoxy resin because this is what i want to do lol

EDIT:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Carbon-Fiber-Kit-Fabric-Cloth-Resin-Instructions-5-7-oz_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ26438QQitemZ4622187766QQrdZ1

i know where to get the resin ill give u the link when i get home