carbon fiber question

ok, so my CF hood is an ebay peice of shit, and has finally gotten so bad i cant stand looking at it anymore, the layers are separating in a couple places leaving yellow spots that look like chips in the hood, but are below the surface, and recently i have a whole 4" long “gouge” looking one that really chapps my ass. i also have the clear coat burned/worn off in a few places, and some heat splitting marks from my turbo manifold heating up the hood. so my quesion is…is it worth it to just sand the whole thing down, and try to re-resin it/clear it…or even get some CF cloth and do a new fresh layer of CF/resin and re-clear? or should i sand the damn thing down, fis the bad spots with body filler, and paint it body color or possibly carbin-fibber?

or save up and get an uber expensive high quality new one?

i would paint it body color, or buy a good one.

i would really doubt that completely re-finishing one would result in anything decent looking, unless you have a lot of experience working with cf.

well if u really want to keep the c/f look, then don’t cheap out and get a good quality one.

BUT, if it were me, i’d just take the one u have now and paint it. but then, i don’t even know what the one u have now looks like

brother, i have seen your car, multiple times, you dont know me, its ok, i do body work for approx 16 hrs a day, 6 days a week, jskrappar can attest to this, and my honest suggs. is to just get a high qualtiy one, or just go stock, cauz honeslty if your making good power, the extra 3 lbs doesnt matter… good luck!!! also… t-way the fuck up on your whip… i am gonna stop and say hi next time i see you at mighty… pce

^ thanks for the words man lol, if you see my car at wilson farms in OP/WS stop in and say hi as well, its always nice to get a hello from an NYspeeder i havent met yet lol, has happened a few times.

the one on there now looks like ass, no namer and whatnot. i like the CF look, and with the headlights and grille i have in there now i dont think body color will look right. i was thinking about adding another layer of CF cause mine is so weak…but i dont know how much that would cost and if i could even do it myself without buyin some serious tools for it…maybe ill have to PM lafengas and see if he could do it up for me as a winter project cheaper than the cost of a new hood.

where’s lafengas??

refinishing it is a bad idea.

you wont get past the sanding step. you will start sanding, and then you will sand right into the weave.

you: but Zer0DazE i was going to put another layer of cf over top of it.
me: oh, really? thats a great idea. if you had a vacuum pump and had exp. bagging composite pieces.

've yet to hand lay a large cf piece that looks great (only small ones), and of the stuff i’ve bagged only a 1 of them i would have used unpainted, and it wasn’t as large as a hood.

the point to my pre-coffee ramblings…
paint the or replace the fucking hood.
if you want to play with composites DO NOT start with a project as large as a hood. start small with some hand layed pieces, or overlays (which are a giant pita), and once you’re comfortable with that find a used vacuum pump and grab some bagging supplies. may a mold of your junk and make it outta cf for your old lady or something small like that. (get it? smal… your junk…)

anywho, stay away from complex shapes when your hand laying, the fabric won’t hold the shape. don’t do large pieces like your hood for hand layups. you will get air bubbles, it will look like shit, and not be very strong.

http://www.compositeforum.werksberg.com/
http://www.racingcomposites.net/

hit up those 2 forums if you have any intrest in composites other than refinishing that hood.

this is easy… :word:

ok, guess i get to have fun with a sledge on this bitch. next year for the barbeque ill bring the hood and a sledge hammer and we can all take turns beating it after i get a new hood.

hang it on ur wall

one of my roomates from years ago had an assload of cf fabric for a senior engineering project, and decided to use some of it to cover his stock hood (against my suggestion).

this is the atrocious result:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/redrumeg6/DSC01665s.jpg

That’s hot like a hot poker to the eye. Ugghh.

Looks like he forgot to vacuum bagged.

Buy a new hood. QUALITY new hood.

i might try my luck at carbon “fibber” using cheesecloth and a few differnt shades of black and charcoal grey paint, im too broke to spend $400 on a new one right now