AP1 vs. AP2: Looking for relevant info.

Owners/drivers of these cars…which ones have you driven and what are your experiences? If both, which do you prefer and why? I’ve driven a few AP1’s, never 2’s though. Any info. would be greatly appreciated. Also, anyone interested in giving me a test drive would be outstanding. You can have a ride in the Esprit in return. Thanks.

:tup:

AP2 is more mellow but doesn’t seem to be slower and is a little easier to drive around town. There’s couple small interior updates, more interesting headlights and taillights but nothing too drastic. I prefer Ap2. Ask moffitt and MPD about the Ap1- vs. Ap2 shootout we did at dunnville

Unless you drive both back to back - I doubt you even be able to tell

ap1 - track car…higher redline.

ap2 - daily (more low range tq), bigger wheels, styling updates.

differences are pretty minor.

ap1 also wayyyy cheaper :stuck_out_tongue:

AP-1 Cant be miss shifted all day

eh?

GO BOOM

He’s making a joke.

AP2 is much much much easier to drive, but I hate the lower redline. No matter which you decide to buy get a UK spec alignment ASAP.

Ive driven a few AP2’s and they are quality builds… everything is very nice and tight on them and yet they are still so streetable.

Yeah… I think euro spec cars have the 2.0 engine in the AP2 body.

AP1 does not have the clutch delay for 2nd, so it, under full accel, feels a little weird and has a minor hesitation. its also cheaper, lighter and will be more easy to accept taking it to the track.

AP2 still too pricey and you only get a slight change in head/taillights and interior trim. tiny bit more torque and lower redline is a throwout in my opinion.

When I bought my car this summer the price difference between Ap1 and Ap2 was around 2g (2002 vs 2004) - I wouldn’t get anything earlier than 02 - plastic window sucks and they fixed bunch if issues in 2002 (stronger diff for example).

i have an ap2 and love it. easily daily driven as i have done all summer, yet when i brought it to dunnville i had a blast driving it real hard. i put hp+ pads on the car and my only limitation was the shitty tires on the car.

There is a good writeup about the car and year to year differences in this months grassroots. Or you can check out s2ki. If you are planning on keeping the car close to stock my advice would be get the newest one you can afford to buy up to 2005. I prefer the 04+ look you get stronger diff 17s newer car with more than likely lower miles and less wear and tear. I would stay away from 2006+. If you want to build a track star buy a cheap 00-01 and mod away. 10-12k will get you a decent car. Never drove an AP2 so i really cant compare. Most people say AP2 easier to drive stock v stock with the suspension torque 17s etc. If you start modding the car none of that really matters. My 02 ran great at Mosport with just springs alignment r comps and pads. Slow but lots of fun.

AP1 is a bit more raw but I like it and 9>8 lol . They also have a few stupid little issues I would look out for or fix before they get bad.

• the Timing chain tensioner likes to start loosening the chain, making a valve chatter noise

-two bands of fabric that help close the top get stretched out and cause the bars to rub and eventually tear the top above the driver/passenger shoulder

-many AP1s are known to burn little oil when hitting vtec, its fine just keep a eye on it

-There is a tsb on the CV joints, they like to self destruct before 50k miles depending on driving. better off just replacing the whole half shaft if needed

as stated above def get 02+

Thanks for the info. all. Please keep it coming. I guess I’m torn. AP2’s looks are more up my alley, but I love the 9K of the AP1, and the AP1 is all I’ve driven. Also, the AP2’s are still up there a bit in price. I need to drive an AP2…

you can make an AP2 rev to 9k and have the best of both world if you so mod.