Apple is outselling Windows PC at UB

This is somewhat surprising, but not. I knew that they were gaining a larger following, but didn’t think it was growing at the rate it has

We ran reports on how many systems we have sold so far for back to school and Apple has 1/3 of the desktop sales and 60% of the laptop sales.

About 85% of the systems sold are laptops. And it’s an even amount of MacBooks and MacBook Pros that are being sold.

The UB Dental school used to have options for a IBM/Lenovo or an Apple. This year they went with a MacBook Pro. And they also offered an image with Windows and not many of them chose to have that as their defailt OS for applications. Most people opted for the Mac native applications.

Just an FYI on the trends we are seeing here.

Friggin iPods.

OmGz where is BUICKGN!

right here, \ its not like i sell them, im not making anything.

lol not surprising at all actually

didn’t the dental school require them for whatever software they were running?

I want one for home, mostly because I want to play with the iPhone SDK, but I’m not willing to drop $1200 on a shitty little iMac.

Probably download that version of Leopard that will installed on a PC and see if I can get that working.

Buy the Mac mini…

some guy on here was selling an old apple for a few hundred bucks. Only like 500mhz (lol I think the phones are actually more powerful) but it would do the job

EDIT: if you want OSX86, lmk… got a hacked iso for it laying around

OMG.

hahahahaha + Karma

$600 for a little 1.83ghz c80gb hard drive, gig of ram and in a single dvd drive? No monitor, no keyboard, no mouse.

I drank a little koolaid with my iphone but I’m not addicted to the shit.

I have a dual 450mhz G4 tower and a dual 1.8ghz G5 tower that I’d sell if you’re interested…

hahahaha

Since the SDK requires OS X v10.5.3 or later I’m guessing it needs a decent machine. Visual app development is usually pretty resource intensive as well so I think I’ll either end up building a new desktop (that I need anyway) and setting it up to dual boot Mac or Vista, or just break down and buy the mini.

Either way it will be a business tax writeoff. :slight_smile:

And nice chop Nick. Getting a lot of mileage out of that picture today.

Get a refurbished mini for $4XX…

I’m running 10.5.2 on a Pentium D machine with 2 gigs of RAM. Only reason I am on 10.5.2 and not 10.5.3 is because the kalaway disk wasn’t out yet and I am afraid of upgrading seeing as how its working so well right now.

It flies though and you get get the hardware dirt cheap

:thankyou:

Actually, credit: Newman

To be honest, they’re probably outselling PCs at the book store because you can buy a PC online for cheaper than you can buy it in the store.

But the Macs are the same cost everywhere…might as well buy it from the school.

Hmmm, I had a mini that I just gave away a couple weeks ago…

It’s a strange way how things work, but we still will sell a ton of computers at the costs they set them at. Departments steer them towards a certain configuration and they will buy them. But a ton of people are coming in and getting Macs because their friends have them or they are the cool thing to have. It’s been the same price structure, etc that I know of for 7 years and the sales are the same as they were 7 years ago.

The only difference now is the majority of computers sold are laptops and now more than half are Macs.

I think that it also has something to do with the financial situation of parents.

UB has been getting more and more strict in the past few years as far as acceptance of students. This means that in general, you will find more and more smart kids with rich parents on campus. that means that their rich parents will buy them whatever they want. UB has stepped it up a few notches in the past 5 years and it shows.