Applying for a title v. old car?

When did titles come into play? If you bought an old car circa 1970’s and it has no title, how hard is it to get a new one so you could get the car on the road? I coulda swore you could get one from private companies for a fee who check the vin to make sure the car isnt stolen but I really dont know? Or do you not even need one after the car is a certain age? :confused:

Title law started in 72 or 73. There are ways to still register it. It involves a pencil tracing and having a police agency sign off on it. do a serach on NYSDMV.com for registering a non titled vehicle.

for the datsun I only needed the previous registration piece of paper you kept in the mailbox, and a bill of sale from whoever you got it from. You can actually register the car on the spot with that, or you have to wait 2 months for a new title in your name from albany. ( I waited)

Find someone who wants that duster?

Registration and BOS should be enough. What year car?

someone just told me this…ugh

Your kind of screwed with no title in NY after '72, NY issued titles after '73. Sadly, if the car was 72 or older, it would be no problem. If you haven’t bought it yet, I wouldn’t, not sure how you would get out of this one. I would go to DMV and see if they will help, but there’s no way I would shell out any seroius money, too big a risk.

[quote=“FASTMOFO,post:6,topic:38415"”]

someone just told me this…ugh

Your kind of screwed with no title in NY after '72, NY issued titles after '73. Sadly, if the car was 72 or older, it would be no problem. If you haven’t bought it yet, I wouldn’t, not sure how you would get out of this one. I would go to DMV and see if they will help, but there’s no way I would shell out any seroius money, too big a risk.

[/quote]

mine was a 76 with no title :gotme: no problems there. Is there any paperwork? registration or insurance papers, something?

Just a BOS so far. The guy needs to do some looking around for more paperwork thats for sure.

yeah i was wondering about that… the cars been around forever.

1973 was the year they started doing titles.If it was a 1972 or older you will need to do a vin tracing on a piece of white paper with a pencil.Some of the DMVs will try to give you problems with doing it but what i usually do is just go to a different dmv and hope you dont get somebody with an atitudude.I just went through this with my car,it was last on the road in 1978 in PA.They will probably tell you that you have to find the last owner that regestered the car and have him sign a paper stating that he was the last owner.Well most of the time this isnt possiable because how do you know who owned it and drove it if it has been through previous owners that never registered it.You will be able to do it and put it on the road after arguring with the dmv.They will just give you a temperary regi that is non transferable.After about 3 months you will recieve a transferable one.If it is a 73 and up i am not sure what you have to do about getting a new title.There are places like broadway title that you can pay like $250 to get it for you but it is cheaper if you do it yourself.If you dont mind all the BS that the dvm gives you.