How to Register an old car(1972) w/ no title or registration

Since the DMV title office is closed today, I figured I would ask here.

The owner doesn’t have any paperwork for it. Any way that I could still get it registered?

Thanks

the owner could probably get a duplicate registration, I believe that is all that is needed for pre-title cars.

The current owner obtained the car when a bank came in and foreclosed a house.

Could I just get an affidavit stating how I obtained the car and get the registration?

Oh I see, I have no idea about that. Maybe someone else can chime in.

sounds like any way you go about it has some risk.
as long as the dmv has this guy listed as the owner you should be fine

good luck

Should the guy not be listed as the owner with the dmv, and if it looks like getting a title will be a disaster, there are a number of companies out there that will send you a title from another state for older vehicles. It may be a few hundred $, but it’s completely legit.

^ Seems not that legit, but do you have a link?

BTW, funny that you respond to this, the 72 I am looking at is another aircooled

Broadway Title is one. I would check out TheSamba for more info on companies that do it. I’ve never had to use one so I’m not an expert. They send you paperwork to get a NY transferable reg in your name.

What kind of car.

PM Pauly your question.

You dont need to use a title service. there are perfectly legit ways to do this. The bank should have given you some sort of paperwork in regards to the vehicle. I’m not working today or tomorrow but if you PM me some speifics i will call title bureau on friday and get you a “proper” answer.

Sounds like a veedub or Porsche.

its a 1972 vw Beetle.

I did not get the car from the bank, the guy I am buying it from did.

Thanks Pauly, I’ll pm you when I get some specifics on it.

So how long till it runs 9’s and is cooler (and faster) than 90% of the board?

^ Meh this one is a vert, I already have the project car in the garage.