AR rifle owners?

Lately I’ve been looking more into an AR type of rifle. I really like the Ruger SR-556:

Anyone here own an AR style rifle, what brand, how do you like it?

There are a few major brands out there you should stick with.

While particularly I don’t know enough about it to go on, I have about 4 friends with them.

I’ll let DJ, Cossey, JVG or somebody else to chime in with actual names.

From what I can recall while blabbing with people about guns, one of them starts with a W :lol

Ruger would be fine. The gas piston is something you want for sure.

Check out Sig’s 556 as well. I <3 the 556.

I have a DPMS.

check out

those guys know guns inside and out… they can lead in the right direction… plus they can sell them too

sig 556 FTW… just bought it 2 weeks ago… right now at Zacks gun shop its on sale with a rebate and is cheaper than the Ruger and i think its a much better weapon

DPMS here as well. I’d sell mine for the right price :slight_smile:

i dont believe they have a NYS Compliant Ruger model yet as we arn’t allowed to have some of the items that come on the model as is.The Ruger is a nice gun its gotten a lot of positive feedback. I have a DPMS and love it never had any issues the Sig guns are all great too.

I’ve heard good things about Sig and a friend of mine has a DPMS, I’ve always liked Ruger, they make quality guns. Another friend of mine owns a Rock River AR, it’s a nice gun but there is just something about it I don’t like. Even an AK47 would be a nice piece to have too lol. As far as legality goes, I live in Vermont so I don’t think the gun laws are as strict as they are in NY.

lucky bastard

fixed :slight_smile:

The Ruger is a nice gun. I have been considering an AR myself and have been looking into them. I would buy the SIG over the Ruger though. SIG’s quality is superb, IMO the best out there and it’s damn accurate. The only thing I don’t like about the SIG is that you need some special tooling(even beyond that of the standard AR’s) to completely disassemble the gun for cleaning(barrel removal). The SIG as a very unique gas block and rod charging system that requires jigs to assembly properly unlike the typical AR gas tube assembly. It’s gas reload pressure is adjustable so that if the gun load become sluggish you can up the gas pressure going to the bolt assembly.

Bang for the buck… the DPMS guns are the way to go. Very good quality, shoot nice too. Alot of options available as well. Should visit their website and make something up from their “build a gun” thing.

hmm, good advice Boxersix. Wilson Combat has some nice AR’s too.
I’ve had a hard-on for AK47’s just as much, but the AK seems like more of a mass produced gun, not really quality built. Its just meant to work.

I just bought a S&W .357 Magnum (Model 686 Plus) off my friend today. Its only had 50 rounds go through it. I cant wait to shoot it!

AK’s were designed to work, and work they certainly do. Still I like my gun to look good too :lol People say .556 is a whimpy round and compared to alot of others it lacks some punch but it’s cheap, readily available everywhere, and is very accurate out to 300yds, which is pretty much the limit for just about every gun range in the area(aside from my own personal range :wink: You can hunt with it as well if so desired.

I want a 556/223 AR for a fun “plinkin” gun that’s cheap to shoot, easy to maintain, and something that my wife can handle as well. They’re also pretty cheap now. A fully optioned DPMS will run you in the $1300 range. I’m also buying an AA Grendel 6.5 24" upper for it as well, which adapts to the AR15 lower in seconds.

The AR platform is pretty much the mr.potato head of rifles, you can switch things around in a million configurations to match what you want. I would guess you probably want a simple carbine length (16 inch barrel) “kiss” rifle, Its a good all around rifle for whatever you need. As for brands, it really does not matter, everyone will always have their favorite and i have owned many of them from olympic arms to colt. My favorite by far is an AR that i built, its a well broken in dpms lower with a 20 inch standard a2 cmmg upper chambered for .223/5.56 and cmmg lpk, i even chose it over the colt i had . You could build your own from a stripper lower reciever and spend anywhere from 600 to a million dollars. The main lower reciever is considered the actual “firearm” because thats where the serial number is located. NYS has an awesomely retarded assault weapon ban which pretty much says we cant have the fun usless stuff on our ar’s because they say the fun features are evil and we are restricted to (2) two. These features NYS considers Evil baby killing things that no one will or should have are things like…
-threaded muzzle brake or compensators, we can only have a muzzle brake thats pinned or welded at the end of the barrel… no “flash hiders”

• a folding or telescoping stock…
    -a bayonet lug
    -pistol grip
    -detachable mag
    -flare launcher
    If the lower reciever is built after 94 is considered a post ban rifle and can only have 2 of these “evil” features, which is pretty much always going to be a detachable mag and pistol grip, all stock must be fixed, muzzle brakes pinned and bayo lugs choped off to keep us legal with people like carolyn mcarthy who thinks “barrel shrouds are shoulder things that go up” and have no idea wtf they are talking about.

Theres a gagillion options but the easiest, fastest, cheapest way is this
Allstar Tactical and nyfirearms.com
cmmg ar15 is - $799
wasr-10 AK47- $450

theres no way anyone can beat that for a ny legal rifle

NY is horse shit for guns, I can’t believe you guys have to go through all that shit and then even register the gun and apply for a CCW permit. Here in Vermont its great.

I heard accuracy with the AK isnt as good as the AR either, which the AK really isnt intended to be a deathly accurate weapon anyway, like you guys said its just supposed to work under harsh conditions. My price range for an AR is around $1500 to $2000. There are just so many damn options as far as brands go, Wilson combat is another great looking rifle too.

Finally took a pic of my .357 just for the hell of it:

damn, all dirty harry and shitttttt

If you want a piston driven rifle, definitely look into the SIG556. Very accurate even with back up iron sights. The SCM usually stocked by Zack’s Sports may not look as good with an A2 stock, but you can always customize it the way you’d want it to look anyways. Troy Industries makes some nice parts/kit for the SIG as well. I currently have a DPMS that I put a few parts on :ninja
I’ve never had a problem with it, easy to clean/take apart, and it does what it’s supposed to at the range accurately.

:thumbup

Sig556’s were on a major sale somewhere… shit where was that.