Bought a Ruger SR-556

In before more bans.

Dropped a downpayment on a Ruger sr-556 today but wanted to do some research before I pick it up tomorrow at B&J ($1099). I am having 2nd thoughts and looking more into the Rock River ($899? or $1099, cant recall) and at this point think I’ll switch.

After considering the SW and Bushmaster, I chose the SR just because it was different, really no other reason. The trigger is rather stiff and the barrel feels heavy, but its chromed and may require less maintenance.

Anyone have experience with either or each?

Also, looking for a scope or red dot, pre-ban mags
(30) and a front grip if anyone has.

Good luck with the pre ban mags, even 20’s are starting to get hard to find for less than $40-50 a piece. Even more usually for the 30’s.

Holy fucking false information. 30s and 20s can be had for around 20 bucks each. Jammer sign up over on nyfirearms. There is a guy on there who lives in Oregon that sells tons of Pre-ban mags to NY residents. I have bought a few off him and so has Cossey

Pre-bans are easy… found a ton $25-$60

I dont mind paying for those at any reasonable price.

I’d never pay more than $25 for a pre-ban. LDD on NYFirearms is the man and his prices are better than anyone elses. Also, 97Cavy is selling pre-ban Orlite mags, which are a cheap plastic, but they should feed fine for range use. I wouldn’t use them for any home defense or SHTF scenario, but for regular use they’re fine.

Also, stick w/ that Ruger. The reason the Ruger is more expensive is because it’s a gas-piston setup (which is why the barrel feels heavier), and a pretty damn good one. Also being chrome lined, you’ll get 10,000+ rounds down it without issue. Gas piston guns run cleaner usually which is a plus as well. They’re not as accurate as a standard direct impingement, but you wouldn’t notice a difference. $1100 is a really good price on them too, considering MidwayUSA sells just the complete upper receivers for around that. If you don’t like the trigger feel, you can get a nice ALG Defense NiB coated trigger group for $75 and I’ll throw it in for you for free. Or you could go higher end ($150+) for a Geissele. You can feel the trigger on my ARs if you’d like, I have regular shitty mil-specs, ALGs, and a Geissele. All feel different.

Ruger is fine.

Don’t get a smith or bushy IMO. I love rock rivers.

I would have to disagree with that statement. Don’t buy the low end sporter S&Ws that don’t have forward assist, but the optics ready ones and higher models are nice rifles. Personally I would buy a rock river over either.

Also, go to Dick’s, as they have Troy ARs which are top notch compared to everything else in the price range. Awesome sights, great parts. Most agree that we couldn’t build that rifle ourselves for less than what they’re selling for. I think they’re $1000. Black Friday had them going for $750 or $800.

damnnnn awsome advice. i might have to pick one up.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=13369242&ab=ACLN1_Link_Rifles_ModernSporting

$1100.

Cossey do you have Troy Industries stock? lol advertising these bitches like crazy!

Nope lol. If I didn’t have four ARs already and didn’t enjoy the build/DIY process, I’d go buy a Troy lol.

FUCK I dunno what to buy. this requires research impulse buys always fuck me.

What is a faux suppressor? Just a can that slips over the barrel, no lining or anything? That M&P 15-22 is cool for $500.

If you want one I have a mint used one that I would be willing to sell. Also yes it’s just a piece that screws over the barrel and acts as a heat shield. It does look kinda cool though.

The suppressor or the mp15-22 you have to sell? I have been going back and forth on getting a rifle.

Jason stick with the Ruger. Proven to be reliable. the price isn’t bad, it’s normal right now actually.

Definitely sign up on nyfirearms.com if you’re not already. Great site, good people, lots of good infor when needed. I’m also a vendor on there and have my own shizzle for sale(hitting the market in a couple weeks if all goes well here)

Call me if you have questions.

It’s not a suppressor that would be illegal. I have the rifle with a vortex optic. I will sell just the rifle or the rifle with optic. Low round count I picked it up from 94GT5.0 about a month ago. I really like it but I already own another one. So I wouldn’t mind selling it and buying something different. Shoot me a PM if your interested.

I’d really like to get a Ruger SR556 5.56 or 6.8 upper for my pre-ban.

Ill double what cossey said, if I was going to buy an off the shelf ar right now hands down I’d buy a Troy. No questions asked, for the money is a sexy gun.

As far as smith, I just don’t like them. We all have opinions but I think smith should make revolvers and that’s it. I don’t like there ars or there semi automatic pistols. I do own one of there ars.

Next up would be the rra operator half quad rail with their eotech rear site/mount combo. Sexy!