Are the new nVidia 200 series cards worth the $$$?

I’m about to pull the trigger on one of the new 260’s (the version with 216 stream processors).

The 8800 still runs great, but you do notice some slowdown on newer titles and graphically demanding software. Does anyone here own one? What did you upgrade from? Do you feel it was worth while or is the performance benefit moot?

I’d go sli but my mobo doesn’t support it

i got the 260 right before it came out w/ the 216 stream processors. it was on sale for like $230 so i picked it up. it’s one bad ass card. i’m running crysis @ 1920x1200, everything set as high as it will go with dx9, and not one hint of a slow down. and i don’t see a need for sli unless you already have a 4GHz+ processor.

i upgraded from a 6800 gs o/c so YES IT WAS WORTH IT. as for going from an 8800, that all depends on what resolution you run. the 8 series is a very nice card and has kept up quite well with it’s competition. Check out some 3dmark scores to compare the cards if you want. or check out some reviews/benchmarks of both cards.

thanks for the heads up… I just ordered it.

Dumb question, what size power supply are you running? I noticed in a review, it was stated that it needed at least 35 amps of power on a 12v rail (I assume total since it uses 2x6 pin connectors?). My PSU only runs 20A on a 12V rail, but I have 4 12v rails… if I split them up so 2 12v’s were powering it together will that work?

shouldnt have ordered it man. cancel it

the 55nm revisions are gonna be out this month. Wait and grab one of those. Should be able to get some higher clocks out of them.

i have an ocz 750 watt PSU

Dont cheap out on a PS steve

My corsair 530W may seem small, but it will power anything i throw at it.

Except a real sli configuration. lol

a real sli configuration only needs roughly 400 watts which is WELL w/ in that corsairs efficiency range

280 gtx x2? where does it say it only needs 400 watts? And when I say real, I just meant a badass one. Not any one in particular.

do u actually read reviews?

my PS is plenty for a REAL SLI.

u never gave me a model for the PSU, so how am I supposed to know how much it can do?

if i were to run the e8400 @ 3.6GHz w/ dual gtx 260’s, 2 hd’s, 2 dvd burners. i’d need right around 400

HX520W

lol because u came right out and said except a real SLI

I did didnt I…

Im just used to the whole having overkill so I never gotta worry about a psu again thing. Im still on that 1000w pcp&c psu with an 80amp single 12v rail.

thats the PSU I have. Will I have any issues since I can use 2 12v rails to power the GPU instead of one rail? Or does it not work like that?

DJS87, that’s ok… it happens with technology. Unless I’m going to get a good gain (10-20%) this should work fine for the next year or so. (or go x2 260’s in SLi at some point) thanks for the heads up though, wasn’t aware that they had anything new on the horizon

I would guess you might see a 5-10% gain with the higher clocks, but it depends how much higher. And really we wont know until they are benchmarked.

And Id offer some advice on the PSU question but apparantely PSU’s arent my area of expertise.

That PSU will work fine

well, I went with evga so maybe I’ll be taking advantage of that 90day upgrade program :smiley:

Isnt the whole issue with a 260gtx sli config about the amps and not the wattage? If the 260 requires 35amp on a 12v rail, and that psu buick has is only 3 18A rails (assuming that there were enough connectors for dual 260s), how on earth would that system have enough power? Doesnt make much sense to me.

Edit: Evga is my favorite as well. Excellent customer serivice and the 90 day step up is awesome.