asking price for paint job

does anyone know a price… around… for a decent paint job… professinally done?.. of the whole car. no fancy stuff… jus basic colours… like white… or black… or grey…or blue… u know…

they vary, a good body shop will charge between 2-3k for agood job and crappy shops will charge alot less , you only get what you pay for

farmer

a good job usually hovers around the 3k mark, like farmer stated

agreed. 2-3K, and drastically going up if you need dents removed, rust patched, etc.

generally shop rates are $50/hour for paint/body.
a shop can quote 2-4 hours /panel for paint application alone. there are 9 panels and both bumpers on a coupe.

my car took about 10 days to pull dents, fix a rust spot, prep, wet sand and paint, not including jambs. that’s about 100 hours of work, and i had people helping me.

that depends on how much prep is needed. if you need a lot of body work done then its gunna cost you more. the paint job for my mustang (midnight saphire) came out to just under 3K, and it turned out mint.

paint itself was 1k. body work and prep was 2k. granted i had a lot of things shaved and what not.

so it varies.

ide say between 2k -3k tho.

I got my car painted for $1900 “including a brand new fender”
The job is very good and there is a life time guarentee on it. there were a few things that I was not totally satisified (they were trying a new PPG flex mix) so they are more then happly taking it back to repaint what ever I want.

Really good guy to deal with, PM me if you want more info

^^^^^

Just as a warning. BASF as a paint company (don’t know about PPG yet) has started using proprietary reducers.

Basically, if you buy BASF paint, you have to use their reducers. I don’t know why they decided to go this route but I’m pretty sure it’s so they can guarantee shops will use all their products.

Typically a body shop that has been around for long enough has a supplier that they buy in bulk from. It’s way cheaper for them to buy gallons of Brand X reducer, so if a customer wants BASF paint, they buy the paint only.

Or it could be as shady as they assume no shop will use their reducer, so if complaints come back about the paint, BASF can just say “They didn’t use the recommended materials, not our fault.”

With all the new variations of paint turning up (Nissan has even pantented a self-repairing paint) it probably won’t be long before most brands have their own proprietary systems.

But yeah, the above sounds about right as the going rates for paint. Even still those sound like pretty good deals for base+clear+bodywork.

Steer clear of places that offer “too good to be true prices.”

There’s one place that offers to paint any car for under $200. They’ll even fill the rust holes with newpaper and trowel on the bondo at that low low price. Hell they even color match your trim, door handles, drip guards and badges for free with their patented no-mask procedure.

Dupont and PPG already have their propreitary systems. and they both recommend only using their paint systems.

any shops u guys recommend?

Well on my vehicle im doing all my body work and fixing all dents etc.

will it still cost around 2-3k? even if i do the primer and all the body work before sending her in?

it will cost less but most likely it will look like shit unless you’ve got a lot of experience

^^^

Just don’t be surprised when they refuse to paint your car, or just refuse to warrantee the work.

Even if your bodywork is fantastic, a lot of places won’t want the job simply because they can’t make as much money.

Plus if you drive around in primer, it can get contaminated very easily. Primer is porous. If you get oil, pollution, wax, grease, etc on the primer, even a tiny fingerprint, it will show up through the paint.

On the other hand, if your bodywork is done, and you’re willing to accept that anything that shows up is 99.9% likely to be your fault, let me know. I’ve got a guy that will shoot cars I bring him for a reasonable price. It won’t be show quality, but it will still look good.

As long as all his shop has to do is mask it off, tack it, then spray, you’ll save a ton of cash.

ok awesome and i dont plan on driving around in primer id have to get it

towed to the paint place with a flat bed but i will keep your comments in

the back of my head before i start and do alittle research thx guys