ASM Tailpipe Emissions Test

I’m selling my '95 mustang to my girlfriend’s cousin who lives in Atlanta. I’m not worried about selling to my gfs family since the car is in good shape(double checked by a couple mechanics) and this girl is extremely cool, and knows exactly what to expect with this car.

What I am worried about is metro-Atlanta’s tailpipe emissions testing that’s required before registration. For once it would actually be better if they just checked its obdII, but for 86-95 model years they do a tailpipe test for NOx, HC, and CO.

From the website, this is the test:
-A visual inspection of the catalytic converter to check for tampering or removal.
-ASM2 or Accelerated Simulation Mode Test - A dual-mode test including a 25/25 test = 25 percent load at 25 MPH and a 50/15 test = 50 percent load at 15 MPH.
-A tailpipe exhaust emission test.
-A fuel cap inspection to check for adequate seal.

So I guess they actually put it on the rollers. Too bad its not AWD.

The car should pass, and I can probably find out what the acceptable values are, but is there a shop that can do this test for me locally, so I can make sure it will pass down there? I’m guessing it will cost a lot since it needs to be put on a dyno.

youll probably have to go to NYC for emissions testing. I dont think anyone upstate will have the equipment since its not required for NYSI besides in NYC

Oh I actually didn’t think about that. That may work out well since she’s meeting me in Staten Island to pick up the car. Thanks

I wish there was a loophole so they would just scan the computer. Its got the OBDII equipment. Never thought I would say that. Here I was thinking that it was a great thing to have a '95.

If you can find a shop a 5 gas analyzer they can test it for you. Not sure what shops in NY have but every shop I’ve worked at in FL or Vegas has had a way of checking tail pipe emissions, even if it wasn’t a smog shop.