asphault shingle siding on a house

Went and looked at a duplex with the wife Thursday and over all it’s nice but the major thing that has me hung up is the siding is comprised of asphault shingles over wood. I can’t really see the condition of the wood under the shingle and I’m worried that it’s just there to hide some very big issues. The house does have a new roof and they just put down some very nice hardwood floor. It is older (187x) and has a block foundation under the original part and a brick foundation under an addition. Over all the floors are level, no sagging ceiling lines. It is well within our budget and the revenue from renting the upstairs would cover the majority of living expenses and it’s literally a mile from where I work and 3 for her. So has anybody ever seen this before, I’m more then a little leary and haven’t found much info on the web. Jammer any thoughts?

I was just going to say, Jammer is your best bet.

Of you’re not living there and the house looks good overall I wouldn’t make it an issue. Even if there is some rot somewhere down the road, it can always be fixed, then house resold.

One thing to look into is try to find out if the roof was replaced because of a leak and if so inspect the wood in the area where the leak was.

I did pass that question along through the realtor. We would have to live there for 2 years, because of how the financing works. Loan would be owner occupied and thats how long I have to be a landlord to count the additional income from renting in order to purchase another house. Our plan would be to live there the 2 years then buy something else, keep the duplex and rent both units for a profit. I mean even if I had to reside the house it’s at the bottom of our price range so I could afford it. Just never seen anything like this before.

get on the roof see if there are any soft spots and iv seen that on sheds.

It shouldnt be an issue. Not a very quality siding by any means but does the job.