Attn Hockey Players - I need your help!

I have been in the process of trying to get involved in playing hockey. i am 23, and i have never played organized hockey. i grew up playing pickup pond hockey and summer street hockey, so i am decent on roller blades and soso on skates. yesterday, i bought a some bauer vector xii skates, and picked up a used pair of gloves (from coldaccord, thanks andre…), with more equipment to follow.

my goal is to get involved in a novice hockey league later on in the fall. however, i went to the pepsi center today, and i realize that i need a lot more work before i will be passable enough to get into a league.

which leads to my question: are there any skating schools/clinics that i could sign up for that are designed for novice adults? i was looking at the pepsi center, leisure rinks, and holiday rinks websites, and it seems as thought the only clinics they have are for kids… (i know there probably arent many 20somethings looking to start playing hockey). if so, any details would be greatly appreciated. any recommendations that you guys have would help.

well u could play in the bronze league at pepsi center thats where the new teams, and basically shitty teams play, or you could join a league at leisure or holiday rinks. Those leagues are usually a little more relaxed and the guys r usualy older guys who are just there to have fun they dont take it that seriously. For equipment go to great skate. For skating or hockey clinics go to pepsi center they will usually give u a pamphlet or calender with the all the different clinics or classes on them

if you want to play pickup hockey pm me, a group of my friends play every 2 weeks for 2 hours. We could take on a few extra skaters who are novice

[quote=“altimarollin,post:3,topic:34114"”]

if you want to play pickup hockey pm me, a group of my friends play every 2 weeks for 2 hours. We could take on a few extra skaters who are novice

[/quote]

thanks for the offer… i might take you up on it in a few weeks once i have all the rest of the equipment… i will keep this in mind :tup:

im really trying to find some ways to improve my skating… although i did see some improvement just by getting used to being on the ice one day today…

i plan on going to hockey skills at pepsi, get some free time without scrimmaging to work on my hands.

if anyone who is at a higher level of play and wants a camp to go to, let me know. I play net at a couple camps for junior b/junior a players and there’s always room for more

some advice for skating go a couple times with out a stick n practice turns n stops n stuff like that if ur a beginner n start out witha stick ull get to attached to the stick n rely on it too much.practice without a stick to gain balance

[quote=“antosh87,post:6,topic:34114"”]

some advice for skating go a couple times with out a stick n practice turns n stops n stuff like that if ur a beginner n start out witha stick ull get to attached to the stick n rely on it too much.practice without a stick to gain balance

[/quote]

good advice, that makes perfect sense.

big things i need work on are stopping quickly and right turn crossovers… oh, and skating backwards. i can do all of those, but not fluidly and comfortably… need practice!

i got no equment but would love to play roller hockey

completely off topic, wtf you are only 23, I thought you were like 5 years older than me, let alone younger :stuck_out_tongue:

Sam…Call me up if you are heading to a skate and shoot…or I will call you to let you know when out next friday night skate is. I would be glad to help you work on some fundamentals.

lol @ Chino. Everybody thinks that. Sam is more mature acting than my father. (when necesarry of course)

[quote=“Jskrapper,post:10,topic:34114"”]

Sam…Call me up if you are heading to a skate and shoot…or I will call you to let you know when out next friday night skate is. I would be glad to help you work on some fundamentals.

lol @ Chino. Everybody thinks that. Sam is more mature acting than my father. (when necesarry of course)

[/quote]

well, it wasn’t really that… i’ve seen many a childlike things from sam :slight_smile:

just we used to talk about work/school and what not back in the days of hanging out at old hybrid or mighty, just figured he was older :lol:

lol… you guys crack me up…

skrappar, i will definitely let you know, i forgot you are a hockey nut… you dont happen to have any spare equipment i could buy off you?

HOL/Lei haver a Novice league. Ive seen the games in this division and its for sure the bottom of the barrel as far as skills. Go to holidayrinks.com and look for the novice div, and eventually somewhere on there you should find a link to join the league and get on a team. I believe Bill Larson is the guy you wanna talk to, or John Mcfall, he runs most of the league stuff there.

[quote=“98SS10,post:13,topic:34114"”]

HOL/Lei haver a Novice league. Ive seen the games in this division and its for sure the bottom of the barrel as far as skills. Go to holidayrinks.com and look for the novice div, and eventually somewhere on there you should find a link to join the league and get on a team. I believe Bill Larson is the guy you wanna talk to, or John Mcfall, he runs most of the league stuff there.

[/quote]

:word: your best bet is holiday/leisure. there were even some teams in the senior A league the last fall and spring session who shouldn’t be there, so finding a novice team shouldn’t be hard. i think fall session should be starting next month sometime.