attn: honda/acura peoples

ok got a question involving my steering rack boots. mine are ripped on both ends so i plan to replace them, maybe this weekend. it looks like there is some grease on the insides of these boots. i asked a couple places about this: acura says put some cv boot grease in there. honda says they are just dust covers with no grease needed and they arent sure why there is grease in there to begin with. team-integra says put wheel bearing grease in there. a guy i work with says just use cv boot grease, wheel bearing grease wont hold up. so, ummmmmmmmm who do i listen to?

help

you mean where the tie rods go into the rack?

if thats what he is talking about, I think that cv grease would be better, but i’m sure that axle grease would be fine as well. As a matter of fact, I don’t even know where you can get CV grease…although I wish I did!

pep boys, advanced, etc. all have it.

uh oh… if you are talking about where the inner tierods are, there should not be grease in there. If you see wetness or signs of leakage, thats bad. Those are mearly dust boots. Don’t put grease in there!

correct!

yeah, i seen cv grease at work(advanced) its not out with the other stuff, you have to ask for it

its not wetness, its actual grease. i noticed it when i changed my clutch, the boots are ripped on both ends and has some kind of grease comin out.

just throw a whole rack in it

$$$

i barely scrapped the cash for the boots. any other signs of the rack goin bad? it steers fine, no looseness or anything

after consulting my OEM Manual, theres supposed to be Silicon Grease on the inside of the boot.

autosupermarket sells steering racks for 110.00 with warranty

there should be no ps fluid coming from the rack or the dust covers aka bellow boots if so your rack is leaking and i recc. replacing it

there is no p/s fluid leaking.

i have a rack for an integra,
35 bucks and its yours

i have to check if boots are good