ATTN: PC people//

[quote=“Zodiac,post:14,topic:26023"”]

how do you find out what your motherboard is.? i mean what brand and what not?
its not exactly labeled on the damn thing.

[/quote]

i agree with sureshot007 on this one. even if the cpu usage is through the roof due to a virus, the processor shouldnt be getting that hot.

The cooling system itself is sufficient for that particular model and moves some decent air across the heatsink. It should not have been able to heat up to that point even if the fan is seized on that particular model it usually won’t hit the thermal shutdown point unless something is preventing proper transfer of heat.

This could be caused by dust caked on the heatsink. Or poor quality thermal paste (Or tape as it’s a dell) between the heatsink/cpu which has a tendacy to breakup over time from the factory.

If it’s clean and does it again, remove the heatsink. Apply some good quality thermal paste. Put the heatsink/shroud back in. And you should be in business.

[quote=“FuzzyFish,post:23,topic:26023"”]

The cooling system itself is sufficient for that particular model and moves some decent air across the heatsink. It should not have been able to heat up to that point even if the fan is seized on that particular model it usually won’t hit the thermal shutdown point unless something is preventing proper transfer of heat.

This could be caused by dust caked on the heatsink. Or poor quality thermal paste (Or tape as it’s a dell) between the heatsink/cpu which has a tendacy to breakup over time from the factory.

If it’s clean and does it again, remove the heatsink. Apply some good quality thermal paste. Put the heatsink/shroud back in. And you should be in business.

[/quote]

See this is what I said already, and apparently people just assume I don’t know a fucking thing about computers… Cause 10 dollars is nothing…

10 bucks is nothing… but why fucking spend 10 bucks when you don’t have to… the computers are designed to with stand something like this…

of course factors of excessive dust, and fucked up thermal paste/tape were not in the design…

It’s not like I haven’t been doing it professionally for 8 years either…

then clearly our ideas differ…

I personally don’t see the point in spending money, unless its actually broken. Seems like a dust isolating, or the thermal paste isn’t getting the heat across to the heatsink…

quick dust clean out and probably do wonders…

Both solutions are acceptable ones and in the end would resolve the issue. It’s the choice of the one with the issue at this point.

However both will achieve the same end result in a standard configuration.

lol there is NO DUST in it…

it has never done this in the 5 years plus i have owned it…

it only happened when

i took the pc’s side off…

then opened the green thing…

then left the pc run for a few. so the fan was not directing air at it at all… the natural air from the room was… which was not circulating DIRECTLY AT IT…

i just figured with it opened and the side case off all that heat has a way to escape quicker… but i was apparently wrong.

picture of green thing?

http://home.comcast.net/~newpcdeals/4600/open.jpg
http://cache.lifehacker.com/software/uploaded/2006-02-08/fan-cover.jpg

there is a pic… you will see the green thing thats attached to the fan that goes to the heatsink i dunno how else to describe it

The green thing is exactly what everyone has been saying it is, ducting from the fan to the processor. The 2 copper tubes are heat pipes that use convection to wick away heat.

Take off the heat sink, clean it with alchohol, and re-apply a good thermal paste (artic silver). Dell uses thermal pads, not pastes, its bullshit that breaks down over time, and 5 years is a lot of time.

This is now 3 people giving you exactly the same advice, why dont you try it before posting again.

The case is designed to flow properly. Opening the side could disrupt airflow and actually cause hotter temperatures. If this is the case, the thermal event could have also been related to the passive cooler on the north bridge not getting sufficient airflow.

Regardless, clean your shit out. Maybe replace the fans, especially if their function is suspect, and put it back together. Also, run a virus scan to see if there was something keeping your CPU utilization pegged thus making a growing heat problem reach the breaking point.

[quote=“FightinMike,post:31,topic:26023"”]

This is now 3 people giving you exactly the same advice, why dont you try it before posting again.

[/quote]

because reading comprehension apparently owns you… i said nothing about the paste or tubing of the heatsink failing… so before you post again you should read…

i said it overheated due to me taking the side off and the green thing… what does that have to do with the paste?

the copper part has no dust or evidence of corrosion or anything else IT LOOKS brand new

i might have overheated due to me taking away from the cooling design thing.

also the issue has not happened again or remotly close so its ok now thanks for the advice all

please /thread

[quote=“Zodiac,post:33,topic:26023"”]

because reading comprehension apparently owns you… i said nothing about the paste or tubing of the heatsink failing… so before you post again you should read…

[/quote]

you stupid ass, its called maintenance, and its not just for your car. These things dont just work, you have to /occasionally/ clean and upkeep them.

:mamoru: He’ll listen when the smoke comes out of his processor and it stops working. Weird how these things run on smoke. As soon as you lose the smoke they stop working. :gotme:

Call Dell. Last year they replaced 450 mother boards on our Optiplex 270s. It was a huge recall. All had thermal events. The capacitors cooked. You could tell by the buldging caps.

[quote=“BikerFry,post:32,topic:26023"”]

The case is designed to flow properly. Opening the side could disrupt airflow and actually cause hotter temperatures.

[/quote]

+1

I see people do this all the time. “Well, it’s really hot today, so I took my case apart so it will run cooler.” Then you show them the system temps in the bios and they’re much hotter with the case open. Modern cases are designed to flow the air over the items that need cooling, and as soon as you take the case apart you disrupt that flow. With the case closed the air is drawn in from the front, and blown out through the power supply, at the opposite end. With the case open air is drawn in from the nearest point, often the hot air that is being blown out of the powersupply fan.

[quote=“JayS,post:38,topic:26023"”]

+1

I see people do this all the time. “Well, it’s really hot today, so I took my case apart so it will run cooler.” Then you show them the system temps in the bios and they’re much hotter with the case open. Modern cases are designed to flow the air over the items that need cooling, and as soon as you take the case apart you disrupt that flow. With the case closed the air is drawn in from the front, and blown out through the power supply, at the opposite end. With the case open air is drawn in from the nearest point, often the hot air that is being blown out of the powersupply fan.

[/quote]

Exactly, theres a reason to keep it enclosed, if not the box would have holes in it for it to ventilate lol.

But either way, if its working fine now good. Id still just for safety reason take a can of compressed air and some artic silver to it. $20 and you just prepared/saved yourself from processor failure in the future.