ATTN: PC people//

ok so my computer just shut down and when i restarted it it said this

“computer shut down due to Thermal Event”

i had taken the side of my pc off cause my room being on the top floor is HOT heat rises… so i figured my pc could use a little rest cause the fan sounds like it is spinning so fast it might explode…

so i took the side off and let it run to cool down for a few… then it starts to smell a little funny so i knew it was the PC… then it just shut down…

took me 4 restarts finally normal again…

BEFORE any of this happened tho… the CPU usage was thru the roof… staying at 90 percent and upwards while i had just aim and firefox running thats it.

ANY IDEAS…?

Now the fan makes a kind of rattling noise… didn’t do this before either…

sounds like u might need a new cooling fan. u should download something to monitor temps

oh? didn’t know they made a program that did that. Any idea where to get one?

the fan is working fine now. i just opened up the pc… then opened up that green thing that goes around the heatsink? it looks like thats when the problem started. I know now not to do that again. i just figured with the side of it opened up it could get “fresh” air so to speak and take less stress off the fan and naturally cool it down… pc works fine now. im just curious as to what happened that would cause a Thermal Event with the side of the pc open and the green encasing thing open as well

i dont know what this green encasing is that u speak of

nvm just dl’d speed fan… how is that program?

[quote=“boardjnky4,post:4,topic:26023"”]

i dont know what this green encasing is that u speak of

[/quote]

it goes around this copperish looking thing that looks like metal plates stacked vertically i believe its a heat sink

it pretty much looks like a forced induction going right from the fan to this heatsink type dealy. it forces the air from the fan to GO DIRECTLY to this thing.

Sounds like you have a shitty dell that doesn’t have a fan directly on the heatsink of the processor. It would be a good idea at this point to go and get a new heatsink/fan combo for it. And put some thermal paste on it as well.

As for why - the bios monitors them temp of the processor and shuts down if it gets too hot.

yeah it is a dell 2600 its a piece of junk but its all i own.

so the green thing that is made of cheap plastic does what? nothing?

this is what the smart fan thing gives me

Scanning SMBus at $EDA0…
Decoding DIMM #0
Memory type is DDR
Module Rows : 1
Levels : 2.5V
Parity : NO PARITY
Refresh Rate : 7.8us
Total Size : 256MB
Decoding DIMM #1
Memory type is DDR
Module Rows : 2
Total Size : 512MB
Decoding DIMM #2
Memory type is DDR
Module Rows : 1
Total Size : 256MB
Decoding DIMM #3
Memory type is DDR
Module Rows : 2
Total Size : 512MB

The plastic thing just funnels the air to the heatsink - the fan probably isn’t moving as fast as it used to.

its moving pretty damn fast, it sounds like a tornado in there put it that way.
its kind of loud but not too loud.

also, now since that happened the pc seems to run faster/better then it did before? :gotme: any reasoning for this as well?

Dell’s are usually built for silence,therefore they use fans that spin at slower RPMs and don’t push a lot of air.

I would…

Blow all the dust out
Get better fans

and if that doesn’t help i’d get a better HSF.

SpeedFan is a good program for monitoring temperatures.

how do you find out what your motherboard is.? i mean what brand and what not?
its not exactly labeled on the damn thing.

its a dell.

well i figured that much i need to find out more specifically what model and or version it is.

[quote=“sureshot007,post:7,topic:26023"”]

Sounds like you have a shitty dell that doesn’t have a fan directly on the heatsink of the processor. It would be a good idea at this point to go and get a new heatsink/fan combo for it. And put some thermal paste on it as well.

As for why - the bios monitors them temp of the processor and shuts down if it gets too hot.

[/quote]

why use fans when they use much more efficient heat pipes.

God, I’m in Sacramento, and I’m here answering Q’s…

1. The fan could be going full speed, and its not going to do anything if the surfaces are covered. Dust is an Excellent insulator, step one since its a PC blow out the dust. Yes blow out the dust, don’t use a vacuum like another Nyspeeder did in the past.

2. There is a possibility that the heat sink may not be seated on the processor as well as it should. This would be a last resort to check.

3. Unless the fan is completely broken, I do not see any point in spending more money for a better fan, better heat sink unit. It worked in the past it was able to cool it back then. so yea… it should now.

4. CPU usage. Ctrl + alt + del and look on the process list, and see what is running at ridiculous high usage… (you can sort by cpu usage to make it easier, so do that) 95% sure already its a virus/spy/mal issue, virus scan in safe mode could help. But ultimately may just be you reformatting, and reinstalling everything.

Thermal event means it shut the PC off before your processor cooked, thank dell for that one.

Take the heatpipe apart (should swing off like a door), and clean up all the dust in the pipe, and over the CPU heatsink.

I clean mine twice a year, and its caked with dust.

And we don’t have any pets or smoke or anything here, so it could be much much worse.

I recommend you pickup a can of compressed spray can air, for 3 bucks or whatever, and use that. You don’t have to replace the fan unless its rattling or banging the impellers against the case.

[quote=“ILCisDEAD,post:18,topic:26023"”]

1. Unless the fan is completely broken, I do not see any point in spending more money for a better fan, better heat sink unit. It worked in the past it was able to cool it back then. so yea… it should now.

[/quote]

Why spend $10 on a fan when your old on was made to just barely do the job just long enough to withstand the warranty :gotme: Computer parts, laptops, electronics, and more - Newegg United States