computer sounds

ok where to start… i know computers very well and i go to rit for sys admin and networking admin but ive never heard a sound come from a computer like i did today.

i have 2 desktops, 1 being a shitty download storage computer. this shitty computer freaked out today and made a very odd noise. I will try to discribe the noise as best i can.

The computer was running and i was using it and all of a sudden the inside case speaker went nuts and it sounded like a siren was going off. like two tones, high low high low high low, like a cop car. the tones were along the lines of posting tones but the computer wasnt posting, it wasnt frozen, it wasnt anything, it was running normal and just making the crazy sound.

when i went to restart it to stop the annoying noise, the computer froze upon restart. and now is running again fine.

anyone with any ideas of waht that type of tone means? thanks

well mr network admin :stuck_out_tongue:

why dont you goto the pcs webpage and download a service manual which will tell you what those sounds are :slight_smile:

lol well usually the sounds should only come on posting not while running. and it was more of an alarm sound, which ive never really heard a desktop making an alarming sound haha

:stuck_out_tongue:

Fixed. Could be power related.

maybe temp was high?

it was pretty warm/muggy… just a thought (then again, I’m not exactly a pro)

^^^ i rarely use it… its more of a backup and my house is A/C so im still at a loss

edit: rob what power issues would cause this?

Its the temperature warning. Check your fans, check that the heatsink is clean/dust free… etc.

I dunno maybe your powersupply is not kicing in enough voltage.

already did and everything seemed fine, hopefully it was a fluke temp spike or something if anyone else has any ideas please post them

Almost 100% it’s a temp issue

just because it’s cool in your house doesn’t mean :

1. the heatsink is not making good enough contact to the cpu

2. there’s no/not enough airflow around the heatsink

3. other places where the temps are measured (chipset, any other oboard processor) are cool.

Yeah, RTFM :slight_smile:

:word:

yea what others have said. temp issue.