auto ecu on my manual car

hey i was wondering if i would have to do anything to use an auto ecu with my manual tranny??

Nope, but your check engine light will come on!
When I did my manual swap on my s14 I kept my auto ecm and the check engine light came on,
The auto pcm should be fine as it is programmed to run the same engine,
Try it what’s the worst that could happen!
Not 100% sure but I do believe it will be ok

I remember hearing alot of guys using this method to bypass speed limiter on a KA.
On an SR it doesnt remove the speed limiter HOWEVER you should be cautious as i have heard that it removes the rev limiter as well, meaning there is no redline thus over reving will spin a bearing OR worse… be mindfull of that.

Your car may not run right. I know with OBD I GM’s you can not run an auto ecm on a manual car. Torque converter lock up, pressure solenoids, OD. etc etc.

Yet, with the OBD I imports, they have separate computers for both. So I am not 100% sure.

Ask sideways240. He should know, he knows more than me :frowning:

thanks alot for the feedback guys i have my old 5 speed ecu but the motor i bought was auto so it came with auto harness and ecu …i wasnt sure if i should plug the auto harness into my 5 speed ecu …didnt know if it would even work either

Haha 87s15, your really milking this eh?

I dont have any personal experience with this but from what i remeber reading, it will work fine. It removes your speed cut, slightly raises your rev limiter and it has slightly different fuel maps.

The 91/92 ECU’s have a different number then the 93, so I’m not positive if you need a 93 only auto ecu or if you can use any obd1 kade ecu. Give it a shot, it wont hurt anything.

Well. I knew it was a matter of time before you would post in this thread as well.

Wanted to try and avoid the controversy. Meh.

You milk the cow a little every day, it lasts a long, long, LONG time.
Milk it real hard one day, and your done. No more milk.
I’ll grow bored sooner or later.
Just letting people know that you would know more about some things then I do.

On an S13 it works perfectly, I’ve had a few different cars with auto ECUs. Speed limiter is gone, it still has a rev limiter regardless of what you’ve read. No check engine light.

I’m not 100% on the 91/92 vs 93 ECUs but I have run my current car off of 4 different KADE ECU numbers trying to diagnose something and it ran the same on all of them.

If you neglect to milk to cow at all, the cow slowly stops producing milk.

perfectly safe to use a auto ecu on a manual - this aint no pos GM car

it does remove the speed cut ( able to go >180 )

u still have a Rev limiter (7000)

you can use a Auto upper wiring harness / manual upper wiring harness with a Manual or Auto Ecu or any combination will still work.

i used a auto wiring harness and auto ecu and i found the car ran much better vs a manual ecu

This was on a dohc S13 … i dont know about S14’s or sohc’s

POS GM car? I wonder why everyone uses GM’s MAP, IAT, IAC and fuel delivery components on a lot of modified vehicles that are NOT GM?

Cause GM is shit. Makes sense.

You did it again!:rofl:

thanks alot guys guys really appreciate it

I’v ran the auto ecu on a boosted 5 speed and it kind of revs like a auto on a downshift(lil lean) but other then that it ran pretty good

I’m running an auto ecu in my 95 240,that I converted to 5 spd,check engine light has been on ever since,haven’t bothered hooking up a scanner because,1.It runs perfectly fine and 2. I was told it would come on unless I installed a 5spd ecu, but you have to do wiring changes in order for it to work,So no fifth gear position switch or neutral position safety switch.
In my 95 there is a seperate computer for the auto tranny.Still have a rev limiter,don’t know 'bout the speed limiter,never gone past 160km/h in the car.

i have a 91 auto ecu car was auto, converted to manual, works fine… but has shitty idle it goes up and takes a while to slow down… i was told its cuz of the auto ecu, cant know for sure until i try a manual one but meh, higher rev limit, no speed limit although can’t really go beyond like 210, it takes forever to accelerate beyond that so… i need to get a gps speedo, apparently more aggressive timing/fuel maps (dunno if 100% true but its been cited on zilvia and elsewhere).

Runs fine… serves me fine on track just anoys me a bit on street with the high idle that takes a while to drop.

I also noticed that with an auto ECU, if you just touch the throttle and let it go immediately, the rpm will rise to about 1100-1200 and stay there for a few seconds, then settle down to idle again.

This really really helps on uphill starts. I’ll have my foot on the brake, while in neutral, touch the throttle with my heel, and then stay on the brake until the clutch starts to bite, engine doesn’t stall since its at 1200rpm, then I just let go of the brake. 0 roll back. :slight_smile:

I bet it also helps with those random stalling issues people have with KA’s that like to die when you push the clutch in. With an auto ECU (I’m assuming this is what causes it in my car), you’ll never stall because the rpm’s do not drop below 1200 for a couple of seconds, so it is more gradual.

Ah that confirms it then… yeah I guess thats the only real negative that anoys me too… and yeah LOL on uphills and some traffic its like a cheat.

Ya even in the Modified Mag I have(Used it as a guide)says that it will idle low on start up.
Here’s the thing,I wonder if you use a manual throttle body wether or not the rpm issue would go away,on my s14 engine it has an extra sensor on the throttle that the manual does not.
Just thinking out loud!!

I also am using a auto ECU with my S13 build - did a auto->manual conversion with some goodies - I’ll post a build thread with details of how the ECU worked. Had a few conversations concerning how it would work. Co-incided with a lot of the comments on here and I’m positive shit will shred