Auto Trans. Cooler [1992 Plymouth Laser]

well, i want to replace or add on a transmission cooler line, is there a certain type i have to buy? like i dont see where the cooler is located on the laser but it seems to run through the radiator…could i bypass this and add on just any cooler? would it damage anything if i bypass it being in the radiator? what is the inlet and outlet size on the hose? if anyone know off hand. thanks.

I just recently put on a Hayden rapid cool (677). It is fine to put it in series with the radiator…double the chance for cooling. it has 3/8" fittings, don’t know about your car. make sure you use hose rated from tranny oil.

Look at their catalog for your specific application:
http://www.haydenauto.com/catalogs/index.htm

as far as hard line i would imagine any fuel line would hold up just fine. but for rubber hose i would reccomend using the high pressure transmission hose so you don’t have to worry about fluid compatability with the hose + transmissions car run very high line pressure.

you can bypass the radiator if you must but it is best if you don’t. the radiator is typicaly the last stop before fluid re enters the transmission. this is to ensure that the fluid is at proper operating temp. many cars will not lock the torque converter untill the fluid reaches a certain temp, and the radiator allows the fluid to warm more uickly than it would going through just a cooler.

I have bypassed my radiator entirely on my SHO but i have added a massive cooler. I had to add a thermostat inline to get my fluid up to temp so i had TC lockup in anything other than 80deg weather.