autocross

Well i searched and couldnt find a post to help me out so heres my post if i missed a post about this im sorry. I would like to try out autocross racing and wanted to know when the next beginner event is and i want to see the rules also so i know what i need. thanks in advanced

http://www.wny-scca.com/index.php?module=PostCalendar

wny-scca.com has all that you need, but to answer your question slightly - the novice and intermediate schools have already passed this year, so it is only events left. That doesn’t mean you can’t show up and start learning though, there are always instructors available to run with you to help out, and pretty much anyone there will point you in the right direction if you look lost.

Register for an event and show up, just make sure your car is safe and will pass tech inspection… mainly that you have your battery mounted properly, your wheels are not going to fall off, and you have brakes (and fluid) :slight_smile:

This is a great region to start in. Just register and show up for the next event, bring a number for your car and tell them it is your first time. There are always instructors to go with your for a ride along if you want advice.

You need your tires and brakes in good working condition.

<3 Zong. I think im gonna go to the Aug 5 event.

[quote=“Zong,post:5,topic:32661"”]

You need your tires and brakes in good working condition.

[/quote]

brakes? what for?! brakes are for pussies, hardcore autocrossers just keep their foot to the floor until they hit a curb :ohyeah:

Every event is a beginner’s event!

Seriously though, I just started this summer and it really is true that the magic words “I’m a novice” get you lots of smiles and handshakes and OG’s aka instructors to walk the course with you in the morning, make sure you go to the right places at the right times, help you get through the course, and have a ton of fun.

I’ve also found out that the only way you can really embarass yourself at an autocross is to do something careless and/or negligent that endangers the safety of others and/or their property.

Just show up at an event at 8:30am with like 45 psi in your tires, empty everything (including floor mats) from your car, start walking the course, mention to someone else walking the course that you’re a n00b and would like to follow them through it if they don’t mind, take your car through tech inspection when it opens at 9, and from there just pay attention and do what everyone else does.

Keep searching though, there is a lot of info on here with good reading on how to be a noob.

[quote=“chino,post:7,topic:32661"”]

brakes? what for?! brakes are for pussies, hardcore autocrossers just keep their foot to the floor until they hit a curb :ohyeah:

[/quote]

From what I hear you’re kind of preaching to the choir there aren’t ya?

[quote=“BikerFry,post:9,topic:32661"”]

From what I hear you’re kind of preaching to the choir there aren’t ya?

[/quote]

thats why I said it :wink:

chino and zong. what a duo

spin-crash-win your class.

thats our motto, works everytime :smiley:

i heard somewhere that rule of thumb is that you burn off 3,000 miles worth of tires/brakes per event, other than that, make sure everything (especially battery) is tied down under your hood, since theres a technical inspection before you can race. theyll loan you a helmet there, and they usually have paper numbers you can tape INSIDE of your window. also theyll class your car, run what you brung…

[quote=“speedracer329,post:13,topic:32661"”]

i heard somewhere that rule of thumb is that you burn off 3,000 miles worth of tires/brakes per event

[/quote]

I’d say more like 300 miles.

[quote=“Zong,post:14,topic:32661"”]

I’d say more like 300 miles.

[/quote]

not unless you do hairy burnouts like i was doing sunday. My shit was spinning into second gear bitch!

[quote=“RobHimself,post:15,topic:32661"”]

not unless you do hairy burnouts like i was doing sunday. My shit was spinning into second gear bitch!

[/quote]

shutup honda boy, this is an AWD discussion, anyone can spin tires with FWD
:retard:

[quote=“chino,post:16,topic:32661"”]

shutup honda boy, this is an AWD discussion, anyone can spin tires with FWD
:retard:

[/quote]

LOL oh bummer. The sales guy said i had AWD.

[quote=“chino,post:12,topic:32661"”]

spin-crash-win your class.

thats our motto, works everytime :smiley:

[/quote]

Its called the China Man effect. I cannot yet explain in words how it works but it works well

[quote=“RobHimself,post:17,topic:32661"”]

LOL oh bummer. The sales guy said i had AWD.

[/quote]

His name was prob Jeff. j/k Jeff

It’s definitely a good time. Prepare to be addicted. Also, don’t be intimidated as there are many non-performance cars that attend and compete. Two weeks ago I watched a rusted out early 90’s honda DX loose a motor mount bolt on the course. Then I got to see some German sports cars, and a Z06.