Automatic transmission slipping?

I just went for a drive but i notice my car does something wierd …its as if the auto transmission is slipping the rpm will be going up but the speed of the car goes down…also when i floor it it doent downshift and give power it jsut slowly accelerates i play around with gear 1 and 2 and they do kick in…if i leave it in drive its almost like its stuck in 2nd or 3rd gear becasue i went around 170 and it never shifted once…so i dunno…this also happend to me before on the track after 3 laps of beating the hell out of the car its as if its lost all power

anyone know what it could be ?

if i went and started it again tomaorw it wouldbe fine its onyl sometimes it does it…tranny fluid is not low either.

does it do it only when its warm? only when cold?

sounds like either the torque converter, or the main bearing is giving out under load.

time to go 5 spd u flamming homo sexual automatic queer-eyed hobo

Well at first it was only when it was cold…but then i noticed even when its warm it does it now…

and yeah i know i need the 5 speed swap i do plan on it

if you need a torque coverter i got one. about 160xxx km on it. if you need something
to get by with till you get your 5speed let me know.

peace

Hahaha, I was going to say the same thing, but perhaps with less insults :smiley:

I am aware of how homo the automatic is but its all i got right now and i coudent not buy this car it was to clean so…take the good with the bad i guess.

Tosh if i need that ill be sure to PM you thanks

do you regularly use the gears? 1 and 2? …if so i would think that you fuked up ur tranny by doing that…thats the worst thing you could do to ur automatic tranny if ur not goin uphill…but if you dont do that i cant think about why that is happening…try some of the advice these guys are givin u on here…

good luck with it

Na i dont really try and use the gears like a standart… haha i jsut hope if i leave it like this its not going ot stop in the road on me…

Automatic transmissions usually give you lots of notices before they stop.

Your at the first one, crappy shifting and slippage. Than comes the occasional smoking and low fluid constantly, than the noise and wont shift. And than in the very end you’ll be stuck in 1st gear lol.

Not necessarily. The one on my mom’s car just failed. First it started randomly shifting, and then it dropped down to second, and wouldn’t upshift. This was all within like a 5min timespan.
Best way to repair an auto is a 5spd swap :stuck_out_tongue:

I went the the trasmission place today and if i have allll the parts…they will do it for 300-400 $ i can get all the parts for 400 …so under 1 G …pretty damn good considering what i was expecting…

Try swapping in a new/used AT controller first. It’s like the ECU for the tranny. They can go bad, and do what yours is doing.

Old style autos are a lot less troublesome. They rely on a mechanical linkage to downshift. IE you floor the pedal, it pushes a rod, which jams the tranny down a gear.

On yours, it is governed by a little computer.

If it won’t down/upshift correctly, the torque convertor won’t spin fast enough, and you may get some slippage.

Mind you 240sx autos are finnicky as all hell and can have some really strange problems. They rely on 2 speed sensors as well, and if one goes out of whack, it can REALLY mess things up.

for that price you can go manual. way more worth it. and its really not as hard as you think to swap it!

I know it woudent be to hard to actaully do the swap myself but for one i dont really have a good place to do it being winter and all …and number 2…since its not that muhc prolly save me some headache by getting the shop to do it that way if theres something wrong i can jsut go back to them about it :stuck_out_tongue:

for that much money you can do a 5speed swap… I know I’m repeating this, but it’s true :slight_smile:
you can find all the parts for a 5speed swap for an s13 for about 500 bucks, and another 400 bucks for installation… there’s people on this board that will do your swap for 400 bucks if you give them all the parts…

Yeah thats what i ment…to to a manual swap its about 400$ if i have all the parts for the shop here so i am going to do it once i get the parts vlad has almost all of them so im doing good so far

well hopefully this summer ill be out of the auto craze…just gotta keep selling stuff shuppose…stick with my exa for now as its a 5 speed…feel like a real man

champion…why are we still driving automatic cars?

I just checked the FSM on your problem, it says the solution is a manual transmission swap. :smiley:

Lol j/k man. But you won’t regret it, make sure you take your time and do it right.

Also if you’re planning any power upgrades or KA-T you might want to consider an upgraded clutch.

Good luck and post some pics.

its auto becasue i bight it becasue of its great shape…its really clean…so the auto was the downside…becasue it was origanlly owned by a lady lol, not winter driven ect… so i took the good with the bad with the auto…it hasebnt bothered me to much i even did drifting on the track with the auto i have kinda adapted my own style for drifting with the automatic haha…but now its time to move on and get the 5 speed, since the tranny is going like this…i figure why not just swap it now…vlad has almost all the parts i need just gotta work a few things out, then bring it to the shop to get done…how much are clutches…like…nice ones…for the 240? i can get a oem one from vlad but hoe much are like…perfornamce ones…nothing to much just a good one…