Automatic vs. Manual

thank you!!!
no way in hell u can shift faster than a computer

I hate to admit it since I only enjoy driving manuals, but autos are going to have the quickest shift. I read somewhere about comparing times on a BMW M3 SMG with the average driver with the same car in a six speed with a professional driver, and the SMG driven car was always faster. Wish I could find the link/article but oh well.

i dont debate that manuals > * for fun and games…

but if your a drag racer auto > you

from reading what this kid has been posting lately… lets hope he gets an auto so he can keep his attention to the road… we don’t need him looking at the shifter for directions on how to get to 3rd… and we also don’t need him confusing pedals on the highway

but do you really think he is going to be rocking a built drag auto? We are talking the average guy from highschool.

Drag cars have autos more for consistancy then speed (except when you are like down in the 7s and lower were every mili sec counts.)

Any car on this board can be just as fast with a manual as with a auto. If you think otherwise go talk to badazz

All I said was;

Not, ‘as fast as’;

I was comparing a stock auto to a stock manual. But if we’re talking about ‘built drag auto’ being faster, how could I disagree? :slight_smile:

Notice that I made my general statement after asking him to clarify what he meant by;

This is not true. I can talk to Einstien if i wanted to… I will still get the same answer

shifting fast is only one part of the equation. If badass is the fastest shifter you have ever seen… your not looking hard enough.

The fact that a human arm has to travel inches to engage another gear… is already slower than a well prepped auto can. Why is that so hard to understand? Shifting instantly, and staying in the powerband will make the car faster… when you put a human into the mix, it is not possible to stay as fast.

I shift hella fast as well… 2nd fastest I have ever seen… that doesn’t mean I am going to out run an automatic… its just not possible with a good auto… not a sloppy 250k old 3speed out of an old work truck

For driving around, and long hauls back and forth to work and whatever, a manual is great, and fun.

I also enjoy the ability to take the car out of gear easily by pressing the clutch if I slide in winter.

However for drag racing, I wouldn’t suggest anything but an automatic.

As far as manuals never being able to shift as fast as automatics…

IMO a manual CAN shift as fast as a stock auto, however an auto with a shift kit, or other mods… I’d think the auto would do better, although I don’t have any personal experience with shift kits.

lol… stock automatics shift faster than humans… just because there is slop in the converter or the clutches, doesn’t mean the shift itself is not instant

jack ur beating a dead horse here, let them think they can shift faster than a computer.

:slight_smile:

… wow. It’s not like the gears are in a maze and randomly scattered. I’m not an idiot. I’ve driven manual before and its not hard.

However, rarely do they run at full line pressure to save the herky jerky of the AT. A modified valve body with a line pressure modifier should shift quite a bit faster than the stock form.

So far everything I’ve read has been opinion…

And although the length of time would differ slightly between transmissions and drivers, are there any specs posted anywhere on length of time to shift?

what wastes more power and auto or a manual? Ya the auto might shift faster but you lose a lot more power. So a good driver will beat an auto because more power is getting to the wheels.

though this is true… line pressure and a manual valve body… and a stiffer TC and built clutches… hardly effect the length of time it takes for that computer to say shift… its like faster than snapping your fingers…

All the things above are great… and will actually make the shift appear as though it shifted faster… when in fact it shifted “harder” cause now you feel it more.

and Gustav… if you’ve driven stick… why would you ask? Can you shift as fast as your grandma’s Grand Marquis? No? Then don’t ask.

Good point…

I didn’t think of comparing a stock auto racing a stock manual.

In every case I’ve ever heard of, the manual won.

thats why professional drag racers use manuals right?

they dont seem to be too concerned about loosing power, granted they are using a powerglide, but its still an auto.

Precisely what I stated above. Modification for modification on two identical stock vehicles, the AT is going to be slower because of the larger drivetrain loss…

When you can dump tons of cash at something, you can always add more power to overcome the human slowness of shifting.

My grandma drives a saturn and I’m not asking to see what shifts faster, I’m asking because I want to know what people think is better for racing. I’m not thinking of what shifts faster or what gives more power, I’m getting other people to feed me information on the 2 which is exactly what people are doing.