AWD Discussion (Winter driving)

So I was browsing some forums regarding winter driving and I was very shocked to see many misinformed people in regards what they think AWD can do for you in the winter.

Who here thinks that AWD helps you stop faster in the snow?

are you saying all 4 wheels have brakes on 2wd cars too? you’re an idiot.

You failed at answering my question. How stupid are you? And where did your assumption come from?

It is an even distribution of power right, so you get more grip. More grip doesn’t really equate to faster speed, it is just a ‘better’ application of power. All 4 wheels are able to support the weight of each individual corner so the opportunity of the car to let go or loose grip reduces. I think it helps acceleration, handling, but braking systems, not really.

Well if you’re an idiot and mash the pedal when it’s time to stop, the awd is going to hurt your stop times because of the added weight of the vehicle and of the drive line system that is rotating with the wheels.

If you use the awd to your advantage, you would be leaving a lot of space (as you should anyways) and use the drive line to slow you down, I’m sure most on here have felt the rear wheels lock up when decelerating on the snow in your 240. This doesn’t happen as easily with awd, but can still happen.

But, all it takes really is a good abs system and well-suited tires. s13’s have crappy abs, s14 is better but fall far short of what new abs systems can do.

If my abs controller wasn’t internally leaking, it would still be in the s13. I’m not ashamed to say that it has saved my bacon a couple times before it was removed… but it also caused me to drive 1500km home from a big road trip with no brakes (good thing the e-brake was working well.)

Sounds about right Theo!

I just don’t understand why people claim that AWD helps them stop better.

But I remember winter driving my S13 and the ABS really sucked in the winter (but I was also a lot less experienced), I stopped a lot better without ABS.

Last winter, my car on summer tires got pawned by a brand new AWD CRV.

It was scary as i was stopped at a red light while cars were passing through the intersection.

LOL. was it not clear that i was joking?

obviously awd does not help with braking.

i’d like to read this thread where people thing it does - link?

Used to have an a4 awd. Awd does not help with braking, only helps you get going a lot faster then other 2wd cars can. That plus shitty tires spells disaster

It all started out with people claiming that all seaons are better than some winter tires and that they are good enough for the winter.

It’s seems to be a common misconception amongs the soccermoms and some such. I think it has to do with those awd car commercials that protrait them as all-conquering in increment weather.

my car stops better with AWD

As it is supposed to, in the hands of someone who knows how to take advantage of it.

All that extra rotating mass that AWD has i believe would put more strain on the brakes therefor increasing the distance it takes to stop. As for the overall weight it adds to the car meh…it may work to your advantage in some scenarios. Constant AWD i think is useless as i tell my friend with his subbi all the time. Stupid Urbanites Bumbling Around Rural Areas haha Badass cars none the less not hatting on them :stuck_out_tongue: But you still only get good use out of it 1/2 a dozen times a year.

My ZJ will stop better then a GT3 RS because I have AWD.

huh

inclimate weather

i prefer hicas

Well if you think that, you clearly aren’t doing enough AWD launches.

AWD is awesome. i miss my talon a little bit.

I think he means inclement: severe, rough

AWD doesn’t stop any different then RWD or FWD… only advantage is going up hills…it is a hell of alot easier…

it’s like wearing sneakers on ice as opposed to boots… you will fall the same way…LOL

Yeah, inclement.

there are lots of misinformed people when it comes to awd. its not the best handling there is. (quite alot of understeer). where awd comes in to play is wrc, launching and rain/snow. watch dtm races very very evenly matched now when it comes to braking if someone has a b5 a4 fwd i will be down for a showdown an see witch is better?? engine braking prob better tho cause the car would be more stable