AWD Discussion (Winter driving)

ha
My dad and I were talking about this today. Ya more people just think nothing can stop them and then drive like an ass hat.
I am not going to get into this to much sooo…

Go Roast. AWD battle of the slow and responsible drivers.

Also my legacy can have just as much oversteer as under depending on how you apply the throttle.
but that goes back to what Theo said.

People think that winter tires give you winter invincibility and do like 100 when its a snow storm…

I challenge you to a AWD Snow Drift battle on the highway!

rost ill take u up on that challenge :slight_smile:
but my audi is pretty good in the snow
i sitll have all seasons form the dealer the cars cabout 5 months old so its still pretty fresh i was fine in our alst snow fall . . . …

AWD is good for preventing yourself from getting stuck mainly, and off the line acceleration. Certain handling pluses and minuses could be argued, but that’s aside from the point. It’s not going to affect your braking.

I did some extensive testing the other night with my S4 (AWD currently wearing Yokohama performance all-seasons for now) and a friend’s Cobalt SS turbo (FWD with 4 new General Altimax winter tires).

After countless emergency brake tests from 35km/h - 0, it became clear he could consistently stop with 1/3 the braking distance. No matter what kind of threshold or mad-slam-ABS we’d do the results were the same. To be expected, but the gap was much bigger than i’d thought.

But the surprise was he could get off the line with FWD faster than I could with AWD.

I’ve always preached using winters, but wow, I gotta get my winters ASAP! :slight_smile:

Nice post Jon!

Once you get winters, t ry that test again and see who wins :stuck_out_tongue:

lol@son240 classic thread epic win.

how u like your s4? was it worth it?
i have a 08 sline a4 and i wanted the s4 but didnt think that the price differnce was worth it but im still very happy wiht the sline :slight_smile:

MY SUNFIRE WILL OWN U ALLL on allseasons yoko trz!!! dont stop cant stop lalala.

Race my Pontiac Sunbird wrapped in all seasons yo! Bitch’z got 71 ***Kms on the dash :slight_smile:

AWWWWW Hell ya

what you got for winters.
I bet I can HWY drift way better then you :stuck_out_tongue:

You like those general tires? I just put mine on and am waiting to see how they handel the snow

From my research the AWD system will only help you stop faster if the car is equipped with Taurus brakes.

I’m sporting a fancy set of Yokohama AVS Winters…

I’ll put my summers back on and then I’ll show you how to snow HWY dori!

You gotta keep your Taurus brakes primed and ready, watch this video to keep your rear drums working perfectly.

[Y]PRlmmK1ie1E[/Y]

This would have been a good topic to discuss if half of the people here were not ass hats.

Another thing to throw in to the mix is that while MOST AWD systems are poo and use a vlsd, open or hlsd center differential, some use a solenoid controlled clutch type differential which can be a HUGE help with braking stability (on both hard and loose surfaces).

My STi had an aftermarket DCCD controller (dccd is driver controlled center differential or something along those lines) and I have complete control over what percentage of lock I wanted from the clutches under different conditions and at different speeds, one of those conditions would be under braking.

I’m not going to get in to it too much, but just as an extreme circumstance so that you can put some thought in to this of your own… if my rear brakes completely failed on that car, I could jack up the clamping force of the center differential and still have no problem with light braking in the snow… all 4 tires would brake equally even without the the rear calipers doing anything at all… just something to think about :slight_smile:

Fobwall, i’ll let you know how things go after the winters are on! I imagine things will be QUITE different naturally, the S4’ll be unstoppable… Quattro + winters FTW! :slight_smile:

Sky14, S4 was TOTALLY worth it for me! Very happy with this car and purchase after being nervous about owning my first German car. Only downside was catching up the last owner’s missed maintenance, but that’s all done now and it drives like a dream. The power is totally awesome, and it’s still bone stock other than a few tweaks. I had eyeballed an 03-04 A4 for the same price but ended up favouring the power of the 01 S4. To each their own though.

The S4 is an enthusiasts car, for the level of attention/cost/maintenance it demands it delivers 10x the enjoyment. I look forward to driving it to work everyday lol.

Benson, the General’s are awesome, highly impressed. Deep, soft tread that i’ve already seen prove itself. Enough so that i’m literally running out to buy a set ASAP. :slight_smile:

Awesome Jon! Some guy who came to Dunnville had a 99 S4 I believe, and damn… did that thing handle well… I was pretty amazed with it. All he had done was a chipped ecu and I think some kind of shocks and springs…

Was it this car Mark? Hes a friend of mine that got spanked by my “1/4 ferrari” twice :slight_smile: Him and i both used to race for PTK in the RFKC and Stars of Tomorrow so there doubtfully none/little driver error. Best race EVER i only had him by 1/2-3/4 of a car both times. Id still trade for his car any day it sounds soo badass with a catback…

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/6045/n5069587684270429839fk9.jpg

whats funny is that i think ive done a little highway pull wiht that car?
is he usually around the hwy7 area? i was in the whitesline lol